none
Custom interop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a requirement where my application throws an event, which I want third party applications be able to access... Which I assume is what "interop" means.

I've seen the Interop Forms Toolkit... but that looks like something for VB6.

Which approaches can I take to do this? So far, I only have sockets in mind (i.e. my app creates a socket server, all other third party apps connect to that socket, and listen for data written on it). But isn't there something "else"? Purpose-made? I've seen/read COM alot... but apparantly that's old, and not very user friendly.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:41 PM

Answers

• If your application is a .NET application and the event consumers are also third party applications, you don't need to use "interop". The Interop you are refering to is "COM Interop", that's why you keep stumbling upon COM and VB6 stuff. And yest, it's old and not very user friendly!

So if the above assumption (that you are only dealing with .NET stuff) is correct, you don't need to use interop at all.

Exposing an event to third party applications only depends on how those third party applications interact with your own application. Are they extensions/addins? Do they use your application as a library/framework?

Tell us more about the relation between your application and the third party ones before we can supply you with practical examples.

Best regards,

-- Blog: http://geeklyeverafter.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:00 PM
  • There are many ways to skin this cat (some a lot easier than others) but I think you need to decide right now whether other Non-.Net apps will be used with your app in the future.   

I hate to reply with more questions but I think it would also be helpful to know the following:

1. How many events are we're talking about here?
    2. What type of info will be sent with them?  IE: Lots of data or are they just simple one-way notifications?
    3. Aside from the above events, will there be any other interaction with your app?
    4. At what rate would expect to be firing these events (occasionally? many times per second, etc)?
    Anything other detail you can provide would also be helpful :)

ShaneB

• Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• If your application is a .NET application and the event consumers are also third party applications, you don't need to use "interop". The Interop you are refering to is "COM Interop", that's why you keep stumbling upon COM and VB6 stuff. And yest, it's old and not very user friendly!

So if the above assumption (that you are only dealing with .NET stuff) is correct, you don't need to use interop at all.

Exposing an event to third party applications only depends on how those third party applications interact with your own application. Are they extensions/addins? Do they use your application as a library/framework?

Tell us more about the relation between your application and the third party ones before we can supply you with practical examples.

Best regards,

-- Blog: http://geeklyeverafter.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:00 PM
  • The app I want to expose events from, connects to a hardware device that generate said events. It's in .NET. The application is sortof a ... proxy for the hardware. Multiple connections to the hardware (eliminating the need for the proxy) is not possible. The third party apps will need to be informed of the hardware event from my app. I envision that it'll only be .NET third party apps, but the situation may arise where other technologies (i.e. Java) will be used. It will however, always be on the same machine as my app.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:38 PM
  • There are many ways to skin this cat (some a lot easier than others) but I think you need to decide right now whether other Non-.Net apps will be used with your app in the future.   

I hate to reply with more questions but I think it would also be helpful to know the following:

1. How many events are we're talking about here?
    2. What type of info will be sent with them?  IE: Lots of data or are they just simple one-way notifications?
    3. Aside from the above events, will there be any other interaction with your app?
    4. At what rate would expect to be firing these events (occasionally? many times per second, etc)?
    Anything other detail you can provide would also be helpful :)

ShaneB

• Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:59 PM
  •  

Hi GrimSt0ner,

Does Shane_B's suggestion help? If you have any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 8:31 AM