"The system cannot find the file specified." on BackgroundDownloader.getCurrentDownloadsAsync

Question

• The method 

Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.BackgroundDownloader.getCurrentDownloadsAsync()

will consistently error out for me. 

To repro this: 

1. Start a bunch of (preferably large) download operations using the BackgroundDownloader. 
    2. Wait for a couple to start. 
    3. Kill the app with Alt+F4.
    4. Try to load the previously added downloads using the above method. 
      For me the method consistently fails and calls the error callback on the promise with the message "The system cannot find the file specified."

Seeing this happen in prod too and it is causing all kinds of havoc. The BackgroundDownloader does not continue to function at all, until the /AC/BackgroundTransferApi folder is removed from the app directory or the app is reinstalled.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a solution? 

Cheers, 

Felix

• Edited by CensoredUser Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:11 AM Typo
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi CensoredUser,

Thank you reporting this issue, I can reproduce it as you provided, but I think this is not the common status in app life cycle. Can you tell me why you need do ALT+F4 action?

For a quick work around, reinstall app is an option to ignore this issue.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:52 AM
  • Hi, 

Alt+F4 may not be all that common, but it does illustrate the issue. This issue occurs whenever the app goes from a running to a terminated state. This may be because the user hits Alt+F4, terminates the process in the Task Manager or the app crashes. 

In any case, the app should be usable after the event. 

I cannot ask my users to simply reinstall the app every time they close their app. Some users may want to terminate the process, and they should be able to do this. 

I do hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks again, 

Felix

Saturday, February 21, 2015 6:16 AM
  • Hi Felix,

Thank you for explaining more. We are aware of this issue and working on it. I will update if I get something useful.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:36 AM

• Hello

It would be nice to solve this problem ASAP. I am also struggling with the same issue.

Thank you

Kind regards,
    Dmitry

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 1:10 PM
  • I have run into this issue as well. What would be a nice response to this and any other issues that would cause BackgroundDownloader.getCurrentDownloadsAsync() to fail is a BackgroundDownloader.Clear() method.  If there was such a method I would wrap the call to BackgroundDownloader.getCurrentDownloadsAsync() with a try/catch and then if any error occurred I would call BackgroundDownloader.Clear() and let the user know that there was an issue and that all background transfers were canceled.  Not the best solution but beats the current workarounds.

-Russ

Monday, April 13, 2015 2:38 AM