none
BizTalk 2016 DB2 adapter Failed to open connection RRS feed

• Question

• On a BizTalk 2016 environment, when activating receive location with DB2 adapter, following error appears

"Internal message: failed to open connection."

HIS 2016 CU2 is installed.

With Visual Studio or Data Access Tool, connection is established with success.

Has anyone already faced this issue ?

Christophe BRANDO

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Brando,

From HIS 2016 onwards, SQLAM > 8 is only supported. So there will be no support anymore for DB2 v5.

In your case I recommend you to use BizTalk 2013 R2 together with Host Integration Server 2013. This may work with DB2 v5. 

I hope that you are aware that IBM DB2 v5 is no longer supported by IBM.

Best regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Brando,

Is the connectionstring correctly specified in the BizTalk DB2 Adapter (Receive Location) ?

Have you tried to activate the HIS DB2 Traces to get more information ?

Have you seen an error on the DB2 Side ?

Is the BizTalk Server running on the same Server/Workstation than the Data Access Tool ? FireWall ?

Best regards,

Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, connectionstring is correctly specified as this is same that was used for BizTalk 2009.

I activated trace with Trace Utility, but nothing is logged.

I am not able to detect error on the DB2 side.

Yes, BizTalk Server is running on the same Server than the Data Access Tool.

Christophe BRANDO...If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi Brando,

If you are using the same ConnectionString for DB2 as for BizTalk 2009, this might be the issue as Host Integration Server 2016 has new ConnectionString Properties.

Please go to the settings of your Receive Location -> DB2 --> Properties --> Recreate the connectionString and at the end of the Wizard do a Connection Test.

Also check the ConnectionString Property : Use Early Metadata = True

Best regards,

Monday, January 15, 2018 12:46 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

How are you specifying the credentials/authentication for the connection?

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Monday, January 15, 2018 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

I'm working with Christophe and we have a better error message now. We re-created the connection string and we now have this <g class="gr_ gr_63 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="63" id="63">error :</g> "The SQLAM manager doesn't support this manager level: 7. SQLSTATE=HY000 SQLCODE=343".

We have this error in the wizard in the BizTalk MMC Console while trying to update the connection string of the receive location.

When we use the Data Manager tool provided by HIS, the connection works fine.

It sounds like the two are not using the same "SQLAM manager", but how to fix it?

Thanks.

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

Which version of DB2 are you using ?

HIS 2016 supports DB2 v11, so an SQLAM > 8.

The Data Access Tool uses not the Managed Provider by an ODBC Provider which operates slightly different.

Best regards,

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Version is 5.4.5.

Do you think BizTalk 2016 doesn't support DB2 v5 ?

Christophe BRANDO...If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:57 PM
  • Hi Brando,

From HIS 2016 onwards, SQLAM > 8 is only supported. So there will be no support anymore for DB2 v5.

In your case I recommend you to use BizTalk 2013 R2 together with Host Integration Server 2013. This may work with DB2 v5. 

I hope that you are aware that IBM DB2 v5 is no longer supported by IBM.

Best regards,

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:48 AM
  • Hi Mauricio,

User ID and password are provided into connection string.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:19 PM
  • I had this same experience. My scenario was that I was importing bindings from another environment. The dev environment was working but this QA environment wasn't working. The only thing I did to fix it was to recreate the connection string. After I recreated the connection string the warning went away in the event log. I am not sure if its an issue with the binding file or what but it is working now. 

Brian Stott

Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:55 PM