What .Net Framework to use??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm building a windows forms application to be downloaded from the Internet and allow the users to connect to a server and exchange information using Sockets.

My dilemma is what version of .Net to use.
    I wanted to use 2.0 but I'm afraid that users will quit the download if they have to get a 20MB .Net install file.
    I know I can have an application stub and do all the downloading after user runs setup.exe but still it takes about 12min in a DSL to download the framework.
    At the other hand I don't want to stay back with .Net 1.1, which has a greater penetration in desktops; Visual Studio 2005 and .Net 2.0 have some great features.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ubercoder.

Monday, January 16, 2006 7:23 PM

Answers

• Well, if you want an advice, see if you are going to use any new features of .NET 2.0 (i.e. generics in C#). If no, then just code it in 1.1. Users who have 1.x or 2.0 will still be able to run it.
    Monday, January 16, 2006 8:17 PM

All replies

• Well, if you want an advice, see if you are going to use any new features of .NET 2.0 (i.e. generics in C#). If no, then just code it in 1.1. Users who have 1.x or 2.0 will still be able to run it.
    Monday, January 16, 2006 8:17 PM
  • Draykula,

The features I like in .NET 2.0 is better support for Sockets and backgroundworker.
    Plus some better support for smart clients.

My question is: the use will wait to download the framework (22.4MB) or quit the download???

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:20 PM
  • If you decide to code in 2.0, you can force the users to install .NET framework 2.0 by changing either the config file of your application or in the setup.ini file of your installation project. If the user does not have 2.0 installed, your app won't run and will let a user know that they need it installed before running your app.

Here is how:

in your .config file - takes effect during execution of your app:

<startup>
         <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.x.x" />      
    </startup>

in your .ini file - takes effect during installation of your app:

SupportedRuntimes=2.0.50727

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:40 PM
  • Would you download an application 25MB ???
    Monday, January 16, 2006 8:47 PM
  • Is this a poll? Like I said, if you don't need to use 2.0's enhancements, then stick with 1.1 because probably most PC's have it installed atm. Maybe in the future, you could release an upgrade to your app with components rewritten in 2.0
    Monday, January 16, 2006 9:09 PM
  • "Would you download an application 25MB ???"

It's hard to answer this question, it all depend on a lot of factor. How many user you have, what is the average connection speed, is this a unique application or can they google and find a smaller one faster, do they have to pay for the application, how excited are they to download the application, what type of user you will have (no computer skill or lot of computer skills).

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:18 PM
  • Loving the features is one thing.
    I think the key phrase is :  then stick with 1.1 because probably most PC's have it installed atm.

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:22 PM
  • The application is a chess game which alloes the users to play online in real time.

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:22 PM