Web Deploy no longer works RRS feed

• Question

• User-165785809 posted

Hi,

My team uses Web Deploy in order to deploy updates to our website on to our production server. The last few days I've been doing some housekeeping and have changed my password (which I made sure to update in my Web Deploy configuration) and moved the solution for our website to a different location in TFS. I'm not sure which (if either) of these has caused the issue, but I am now no longer able to publish our website using Web Deploy.

I can preview the publish fine, but I can't actually publish it.

The Output in Visual Studio shows this:

Start Web Deploy Publish the Application/package to https://[REDACTED]:8172/msdeploy.axd?site=[REDACTED] ...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets(4270,5): Error ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC: Web deployment task failed. (Could not connect to the remote computer ("[REDACTED]") using the specified process ("Web Management Service") because the server did not respond. Make sure that the process ("Web Management Service") is started on the remote computer.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC.)
    Publish failed to deploy.

(Note that I've removed some identifying information from this log, which has been replaced with '[REDACTED]')

I found a page describing this issue here: http://www.iis.net/learn/publish/troubleshooting-web-deploy/troubleshooting-web-deploy-problems-with-visual-studio

It says to check in the WMSvc log to find the status and substatus codes for further troubleshooting.

Here I've colour coded lines relating to the preview in green and lines relating to the actual publish in red. As you can see, the requests returned with a 200 (OK) status, meaning the server is not aware of any error occuring. However Visual Studio reports a failure and my production website has not been updated.

The fact that log entries are generated tells me that Web Deploy is properly installed and the handler is setup correctly.

It seems the deploy always fails after ~30 seconds. This could be coincidence, but I'm wondering if there's a timeout at play.

Could anyone suggest further troubleshooting steps?

Thanks,
    Josh

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:41 PM

All replies

• User1183424175 posted

Hi,

Please check the log again. Like other IIS logs, data is not written to the log immediately, so you may have to wait a couple minutes to see the request, or restart the Web Management Service to flush the log.

And you can try to check event log. And I find you set the "site =Redacted" and the computer name also is REDACTED based on the error messages. PLease make sure that is we expected.

In addition, after changing password, please be sure to update the credential where uses the User like web management service delegation rule and application pool identity.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:39 PM
  • User-165785809 posted

Hi,

I waited for the logs to be written before taking the screenshot. The timecodes logged correspond with actions I was performing.

I intentionally changed my site and computer name to [REDACTED] as I do not wish to disclose this information without my employer's express permission. In the logs I see my correct address and computer name.

The service runs under a service account, I only changed the password for my personal account. If I enter an incorrect password in the web deploy wizard (in Visual Studio) it gives me an access denied error. So I believe my password is being used correctly.

Thanks,

Josh

Friday, July 17, 2015 2:57 AM
  • User-147416651 posted

I know its long dead, but this is the closest i can find to my issue, Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:31 PM