none
.NET Framework 4.5 Registry Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the expected version number under the following registry key on a fresh installation of Windows 8?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.5.?

I'm asking because I was previously running Windows 7 with the VS 11 RC installed.  I then upgraded to Windows 8, though I still have the VS 11 RC installed, and the key appears to be the same:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.5.50501

I thought that v4.5.50501 was the RC version.  I expected to see v4.5.50709 instead since I'm running Windows 8.  Which is correct?

I tried to install .NET 4.5 RTW myself, but I can't since I'm already running Windows 8.  The installer says that I already have it natively as part of the OS and it won't continue the installation.

This is important to me because I'm creating an installer for a custom VS component and I'd like it to work on all setups with .NET 4.5 installed, but now I'm worried that I can't rely on this key due to issues with RC upgrades.  I don't have another PC to test a fresh install and I can't use a VPC either.

Thanks,
    Dave

http://davesexton.com/blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hello, Dave.

I have a machine here running a clean install of Win 8 Pro RTM and VS 2012 Ultimate RTM.

When I look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\, I see no subfolder for v4.5 at all.

When I look Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off, I see the embedded .NET Framework 4.5, and in Help->About... in VS 2012, I see the .NET 4.5 version as 4.5.50709.

The subfolder you have for the RC version of 4.5 appears to be from the VS 2012 RC. What version does Help->About in your VS 2012 RC show?

• Marked as answer by Dave Sexton Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure how you were able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and keep the VS 2012 RC, but you now have an unsupported combination (or, so it would appear).

You are correct that a clean Windows 8 RTM install installs .NET Framework 4.5 (RTM) as part of the OS. How you still have the RC version is a bit of a mystery.

In your situation, I'd want to be sure any install package I create was based on the now available RTM .NET Framework. I'd reinstall Win 8 clean, then install the 90 day trial of VS 2012, or purchase a VS 2012 license.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

> upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and keep the VS 2012 RC

Do you mean that you would have expected the setup program to halt due to incompatible software?

The upgrade seems to have worked without any problems.  I don't recall there being any warnings about incompatible software other than MS Security Essentials, which was easily fixed by uninstalling and rebooting.

> You are correct that a clean Windows 8 RTM install installs .NET Framework 4.5 (RTM)

So the registry key SHOULD be the following?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.5.50709

> install package [snip] based on the now available RTM .NET Framework

Agreed, that's why I posted my question.  The installer is based on WiX, so essentially I'm only concerned with the appropriate registry key.  I assumed that I had the wrong key, but currently it's more important for me to build an installer for the correct key, so I need to determine the correct key.

> I'd reinstall Win 8 clean, then install the 90 day trial of VS 2012, or purchase a VS 2012 license.

I can't install Win 8 clean at this time.  It'll take too long -- I've got too much configuration to deal with (it's a dev computer :).

Installing VS 2012 RTM is probably a good idea, but I don't know if I want to take the chance.  I don't want to be forced into a clean install.  It's not a priority right now since the RC has been working well (aside from some annoying freezes from time to time ;).

- Dave

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hello, Dave.

I have a machine here running a clean install of Win 8 Pro RTM and VS 2012 Ultimate RTM.

When I look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\, I see no subfolder for v4.5 at all.

When I look Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off, I see the embedded .NET Framework 4.5, and in Help->About... in VS 2012, I see the .NET 4.5 version as 4.5.50709.

The subfolder you have for the RC version of 4.5 appears to be from the VS 2012 RC. What version does Help->About in your VS 2012 RC show?

• Marked as answer by Dave Sexton Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

>  I see no subfolder for v4.5 at all.

Thanks for the info.  It's surprising to me because I've been using the AssemblyFoldersEx subkey in past versions of .NET to register custom assemblies so that they show up in the Add Reference dialog in VS.  I guess they've changed the location of this key for .NET 4.5.

> Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on and off

In the Windows Features dialog, the only top-level features related to .NET are:

• .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
    • .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services

Both features are enabled.  What is the exact name of the feature that you have for .NET 4.5?  Does yours say "Advanced Services" too?

> What version does Help->About in your VS 2012 RC show?

RC
    Expires in 131 days.
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.5.50709

- Dave

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:21 PM
  • In the Windows Features dialog, the only top-level features related to .NET are:

• .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
    • .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services

I see exactly the same.

It appears from here that you, somehow, retained the .NET 4.5 RC through the upgrade to Windows 8, not a situation I'd be comfortable with given that 4.5 RTM is supposed to be embedded in the Win 8 RTM OS.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

> It appears from here that you, somehow, retained the .NET 4.5 RC

But how can you be sure?  Maybe the problem is much simpler: the installer forgot to remove an old registry key.

How can I check for sure whether I have any of the RC assemblies lingering on my computer?

Thanks,
    Dave

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:16 PM