none
xbox kinect vs windows kinect RRS feed

• Question

• I am a C# developer and want to play around with the kinect. 

I initally thought I would just go and purchase a kinect for the xbox and could develop for the kinect on my pc with that.  Then the first thing I searched found the windows kinect.  

I really don't want to have to buy that just to do some development and learn how to program for the kinect.

The only thing that I have read so far is that I can use the xbox kinect for development and if I was doing some for to sale or for any commercial use I would have to use the Kinect for Windows.

All I want to check is that this is true and that I can buy the kinect for xbox and start testing and doing some development on my windows based pc.

Thanks.

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can. For now. They don't recommend you do it nor do they support it, but it does work, again, for now. With statements like those below, I wouldn't be surprised for that to change sometime in the future.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I use the Kinect for Windows SDK with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend the use of  Kinect for Xbox 360 in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware.

What's the difference between the Kinect for Windows sensor and the Xbox sensor?

The Kinect for Windows sensor  is a fully-tested and supported Kinect experience on Windows with features such as “near mode,” skeletal tracking control, API improvements, and improved USB support across a range of Windows computers and  Windows-specific 10’ acoustic models.

The sensor was specifically designed to be used with PCs, with a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers, and the inclusion of a small dongle to improve coexistence with other USB peripherals.

Kinect for Xbox 360, on the other hand, was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Finally, Microsoft has a large team of engineers that is dedicated to continual improvements of the hardware and software associated with Kinect for Windows, and is committed to providing ongoing access to Microsoft's deep investment in human tracking and speech recognition.

• Edited by Greg DuncanMVP Friday, August 31, 2012 6:55 PM Updated
    • Proposed as answer by Abhijit Jana Friday, August 31, 2012 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jaccs Friday, August 31, 2012 7:05 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:53 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can. For now. They don't recommend you do it nor do they support it, but it does work, again, for now. With statements like those below, I wouldn't be surprised for that to change sometime in the future.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I use the Kinect for Windows SDK with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend the use of  Kinect for Xbox 360 in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware.

What's the difference between the Kinect for Windows sensor and the Xbox sensor?

The Kinect for Windows sensor  is a fully-tested and supported Kinect experience on Windows with features such as “near mode,” skeletal tracking control, API improvements, and improved USB support across a range of Windows computers and  Windows-specific 10’ acoustic models.

The sensor was specifically designed to be used with PCs, with a shortened USB cable to ensure reliability across a broad range of computers, and the inclusion of a small dongle to improve coexistence with other USB peripherals.

Kinect for Xbox 360, on the other hand, was built for and tested with the Xbox 360 only, not with any other platform, which is why it is not licensed for general commercial use, supported, or under warranty when used on any other platform.

Finally, Microsoft has a large team of engineers that is dedicated to continual improvements of the hardware and software associated with Kinect for Windows, and is committed to providing ongoing access to Microsoft's deep investment in human tracking and speech recognition.

• Edited by Greg DuncanMVP Friday, August 31, 2012 6:55 PM Updated
    • Proposed as answer by Abhijit Jana Friday, August 31, 2012 7:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jaccs Friday, August 31, 2012 7:05 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:53 PM
  • If you are just looking to explore the SDK for your own purposes, you can use and Xbox360 Kinect. If you want to deploy something commercially, it will require a Kinect For Windows sensor. Also keep in mind that we are able to do features for the Kinect For Windows sensor that may not be supported by XBox360 sensor. i.e. Near Mode and others that will e in available in the next release.

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

I am also trying to get the xbox 360 Sensor to work on my HP Div7.

I have followed the instructions on" reconstructme", so far, I have all three drivers in device manager under PrimeSence:

1 Kinect Audio

2 Kinect Camera

3Kinect Motor

When I engage Start ReconstructMe Scan OpenNI.bat I can see myself in the first window, when I try to record, the second window stays grey. nothing , nutter, zip.

Can you shine some light on this please?

Friday, September 7, 2012 12:53 PM
  • this is the Kinect For Windows SDK forum, you'll need to find an Open NI forum

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:51 PM