SQL Agent Job Activity Monitor Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Current execution is not showing for few jobs in the view history of job activity monitor in SSMS. Is there any specific setting for this?

I can see current execution and the step currently executing for few jobs but not for the other.

Thanks,

Swapna.

Swapna

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:12 PM

Answers

• Can u try changing max job history per job to a higher value(1000) and see if that works. For the job that is displaying while running, please check what is that value

Hope this helps ! ------------------------------------------------------Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:24 AM

All replies

• Are you able to see that on same server or on different server ?  If different please mention the versions

Hope this helps ! ------------------------------------------------------Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:42 AM
  • Swapna,

Can you post screenshots I am not able to understand your question also please post output of select @@Version.

>Current execution is not showing for few jobs in the view history of job activity monitor in SSMS

Why would current execution be shown in job history.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:54 AM
  • Hi Swapna,

As per my understanding, the issue may be caused by SQL Server clear the history based on SQL Server Agent settings. Please check the settings below:
    SQL Server Agent(Right click)->SQL Server Agent properties ->History->Limit size of history log and Remove agent history.

Besides, please verify that you have appropriate permission to view those jobs. We can use the query below to list activity for all jobs that the current user has permission to view:

USE msdb ;
    GO
    EXEC dbo.sp_help_jobactivity ;
    GO

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:54 AM
  • This is in single server. If you see below screenshot the history is showing the last execution but the job is now executing. For few jobs it is showing the current execution. I want to see current executions for all jobs. Why this difference between jobs in the same server. This is the case in SQL Server 2008 R2.

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Can u try checking the same with a 2012 Management Studio ? I have seen this before but haven't taken into account seriously. :) So trying to figure out if its a bug . Also please post the build version/Patch you are in now

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:20 PM
  • I have tested the same on my 2008 R2 and I can see it as Running in History.. My version is

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4033.0 (X64)

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:34 PM

• Hope this helps ! ------------------------------------------------------Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:40 PM
  • If a job is currently being executed it won't show up in the history until the job has completed. When a job is completed a entry is made into the History table show time started, stopped, duration and if it failed or succeeded.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Swapna,

please read all posts clearly I asked you output of Select @@Version, I dont like asking same question again it just increases length of thread

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Tony,

It will show like what I displayed when a job is being executed. It doesn't have to wait till its executed.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4042.0 (X64)
     Mar 26 2015 21:18:04
     Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
     Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Current executions also appear in the job history.

Thanks,

Swapna Joseph.

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Current version is 2008 R2 but I open it in my local ssms which is 2012 and recently I installed and using 2014 ssms. Same case in any verison.

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Is it just happening for a single job in that instance ?

2)Can u try upgrading to 10.50.4260 -_CU1 for sql server 2008R2SP2. The patch version you mentioned (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4042.0 (X64)) doesn't even list. So I am a bit confused.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Hi Jinu,

I cannot do any upgrade right away. This is happening to few jobs..just curious to know if there is any setting to fix this.

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:29 PM
  • I looks strange. Can u please let me know the Agent properties -> History settings(MAX job history rows per job). Also let me know the frequency of you job.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Schedules are differred job to job..some jobs run every minute and some once in a day like that. Below are the history details.

Swapna

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 8:17 PM
  • Current version is 2008 R2 but I open it in my local ssms which is 2012 and recently I installed and using 2014 ssms. Same case in any verison.

Ok so does your SQL Server 2012 SSMS you are using is express version or full version. And is it patched to SP2. This does not seems isseu with database engine but seems to me like issue with SSMS

I dont have 2008 r2 installed to check this behaviour

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Can u try changing max job history per job to a higher value(1000) and see if that works. For the job that is displaying while running, please check what is that value

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:24 AM
  • It is full version without SP2

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 11.0.5343.0 (X64)
     May  4 2015 19:11:32
     Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
     Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Swapna

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Will try Jinu. Thanks.

Swapna

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Please try and let me know

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:23 PM