none
Upgrading vsto 2003 to vsto 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am trying to upgrade a vsto 2003 (workbook level addin) to vsto 2005.  i need to make sure that the new addin should be able to support the existing workbooks that were created using the old addin. 

Does anybody know if its possible for document level addins?  If not, is there a manual or automated way of updating the workbooks that were created using the old addin (with the custom attributes _assemblyname0, _assemblylocation0) and make them work with the new addin?

Thanks,

Sam

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It’s based on my experience your original code will work in new environment. If you get any exception of it please feel free to let me know. I will work with you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  The actual issue is to be able to use the existing "workbooks" (created using the old addin) with the upgraded code (vsto 2005). 

After deploying the upgraded code, if i update _assemblylocation0 and _assemblyName0 properties to point to the new code, i am getting the following error -

"The assembly <assemblyname> could not be found at <assemblylocation> or could not be loaded.  You can still edit and save the document.  Contact your administrator or the author of this document for further assistance."

Instead, if i add _assemblyLocation and _assemblyName (without '0') properties and add the corresponding values from workbooks created using new addin, i am getting the following error -

"The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded.  you can still edit or save the document.  Contact your administrator o the author of this document for further assistance"

Could you please let me know if i am doing anything wrong here or if this is even supported?

Thanks,

Sam

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:15 PM
  • It looks like it has something to do with Runtime storage control as vsto 2005 is dependent on this invisible activeX control.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:30 PM
  • "ServerDocument

.AddCustomization" did the trick.

something like this -

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsto/thread/e0777760-9cac-45df-b3c1-331d5e3ff956

• Marked as answer by samvsto Monday, May 16, 2011 6:01 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:01 PM