Web Test Template not available VS 2008 Team System 2008 Development Edition + VS Team System 2008 Test Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a web test in Visual Studio. I started with VS 2008 Team System 2008 Development Edition and found that it was not available so I installed VS Team System 2008 Test Edition as well but the option is not there either. Any direction or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Figured it out but it is not an ideal solution.

1. Uninstall VS Suites (yes, both of them)

2. Install  VS Team System 2008 Test Edition (funny thing is this does not come with any default test templates....blows my mind)

3. Apply Test Edition SP1 to install (This will install the test templates)

4. Install VS 2008 Team System 2008 Development Edition

5. Install other updates

You should be able to run the Dev and Test editions side by side and have the web/load/unit/ect. test included.

There might be other ways of doing this but the above worked for me. I have worked through a couple different scenarios and here are the results:

If Dev is installed first then test = your screwed

If Test is installed first then dev + dev sp1 = you must uninstall the dev sp1 and install the test sp1

If test Test is installed + test sp1 then dev installed = works like expected

It is harsh for someone to have to uninstall/reinstall VS products but maybe this will save someone a bit more time then they have to invest. Once again, open to any better solutions.

Sorry Edwer, you don't get the Mark as Answer for the canned MS response but thank you for at least reading the post!

• Marked as answer by Travis A Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Travis,

Web test is available only in Test Edition and Team Suit of Visual Studio 2008. After you install Test Edition, it should work. You may verify via the following steps:

1. Go to 'Help - About Microsoft Visual Studio' to verify whether you are starting Test Edition

2. Click the 'Test' menuitem in the menu bar, choose 'New Test'. See here.

3. In the prompted dialog, select corresponding new language project in the 'Add to Test Project' dropdownlist.

4. You may verify whether there exists the web test in the Templates part above.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:43 AM

2. Install  VS Team System 2008 Test Edition (funny thing is this does not come with any default test templates....blows my mind)

5. Install other updates

You should be able to run the Dev and Test editions side by side and have the web/load/unit/ect. test included.

There might be other ways of doing this but the above worked for me. I have worked through a couple different scenarios and here are the results:

If Test is installed first then dev + dev sp1 = you must uninstall the dev sp1 and install the test sp1

It is harsh for someone to have to uninstall/reinstall VS products but maybe this will save someone a bit more time then they have to invest. Once again, open to any better solutions.

Sorry Edwer, you don't get the Mark as Answer for the canned MS response but thank you for at least reading the post!

• Marked as answer by Travis A Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I had VS 2008 Pro installed, then installed VS 2008 Team Suite and many of the Test Templates didn't show.  I just uninstalled VS 2008 Pro and now they're available.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:38 PM

5. Install other updates

Thank you - lots of time saved.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:02 AM
  • I had VS 2008 Pro installed, then installed VS 2008 Team Suite and many of the Test Templates didn't show.  I just uninstalled VS 2008 Pro and now they're available.

Thank you also, even more time saved as I don't need VS 2008 Dev edition
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:03 AM
  • If Test is installed first then dev + dev sp1 = you must uninstall the dev sp1 and install the test sp1

One thing puzzles me about this remark. This link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945140 suggests that VS 2008 SP1 is applicable to both VS for software developers and VS for software testers. Can you clear this up?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:03 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, I have installed the Test Edition VS2008, I've created a test project and tried adding a new web test but to my surprise instead of launching the IE with the recorder it opens a webtest file with xml format, as if it didn't understand what a webtest file is. I've uninstalled everything and installed the test edition alone and it still does this. Can anyone help me to find out what the problem is? Thanks a lot.

Florencia
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:18 PM