failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know there were already a lot of discussions about this issue, but still I have a problem:
    I am compiling some applications using VC++,Visual Studio 2005 with SP1, in release mode, and running them on a computer without Visual studio. The target machine in Windows Server 2003.
    I installed the redistribution kit, and everythig worked fine, up till a month or two ago.
    Since then, the applications fail to run with the known "failed to start ... configuration is incorrect".
    I found out that in some DLL files I am compiling and using, the maniffest for CRT says 8.0.50727.762 and some showed 8.0.50727.4053
    I installed the latest version of WTL, and now all manifest files show  8.0.50727.4053

I assumed this will solve the problem, but it didn't.
    I installed the redistribution for SP1 of coarse.
    I have another computer with same Visual studio 2005 (or maybe not exactly the same), that when I compile the application on it, all manifest files show 8.0.50727.762. Using binaries from this computer (which is Server 2003 and not XP as my other environment), works on the target machine fine.

I also examined the WinSXS dir, and found out that the redistribution kit I installed added folders and manifests related to 8.0.50727.762, but none to 8.0.50727.4053.
    Is 8.0.50727.4053 the latest? Why doesn't the redistribution kit install related dll's and manifest?

BTW: some of the applications are .net and some are not. But they all use a COM object which I recompiled on the same environment.

Any idea what might the problem be?

Thanks,
    Danny
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers