none
Update version info in INF file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know how to change the driver version in the INF file generated by VS2012?

I had a KMDF driver project which was built using the Visual DDK under VS2010 then I converted my KMDF driver project for VS2012. Now I am trying to figure how to make the generated INF file to have a newer version string in section [Version]. I have tried to change the setting "Driver Version Number" under the StampInf configuration properties but the INF file still use the older version number.

Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:32 AM

Answers

• the correct place is the driver ver number under stampinf. remember that these settings are per platform and per arch in ui and you have to explicitly choose all configs/platforms before the change applies universally, so perhaps you made the change to config and plat that you are not building. also, there are two potential spots for the version setting depending on how your project is set up.  it could be in the driver project (most likely in the case of conversion) or in the driver package project.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:24 AM
  • I can see now that the project file has the older version string in it, so I have to edit the .vcxproj to remove out the <TimeStamp> item from the <Inf> section. Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by hal_2000 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:29 AM

All replies

• Have you tried changing it in the INX file?  That is the traditional way to do it.  I haven't used WDK with VS2012 enough to see if there is a difference, but for the most part people change the INX manually and then the build converts it to an INF.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:27 AM
  • the correct place is the driver ver number under stampinf. remember that these settings are per platform and per arch in ui and you have to explicitly choose all configs/platforms before the change applies universally, so perhaps you made the change to config and plat that you are not building. also, there are two potential spots for the version setting depending on how your project is set up.  it could be in the driver project (most likely in the case of conversion) or in the driver package project.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:24 AM
  • the whole point of the inx file is to allow stampinf to write in the driver version via the -v parameter

Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Doloran,

I have changed the version string for all config/platforms but still my INF file has the version from the time that it was converted for VS2012.

I also checked the driver-package project (.vcxproj) file and nothing there has that older version string. What other file should I check?

For VS2010 I had modified the version in the makefile.inc by adding the version option to the STAMPINF command line. But now I cannot do it by modifying the same file.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Build on the cmd line in an msbuild command window. You will see how stampinf is being called.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:44 AM
  • I can see now that the project file has the older version string in it, so I have to edit the .vcxproj to remove out the <TimeStamp> item from the <Inf> section. Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by hal_2000 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:29 AM