The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory, Azure Active Directory!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

• Question

• Hola, everyone.

Currently, using default "onmicrosoft.com" domain in our Azure AD. Recently, we created a new custom domain. My question is:

- Do I need to disconnect each laptop connected to "onmicrosoft.com" and join them to the new custom domain? 

- If no need to disconnect, will it be possible to log in to the custom domain without havin to create a new user profile? 

It's more of just the custom domain not detecting a new log in and just using the cache of "onmicrosoft.com" or just creating an alias? Is this doable? 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Mister_Jay

As per the infromation provided by you , I am assuming that your users client machines run windows 10 . What exactly do you logon to the computer right now with ? Is it something like AzureAD\user@<tenant>.onmicrosoft.com ? You would need to logon to the User's UPN value which would be user@<tenant>.onmicrosoft.com . The value of the user will not change. I am not sure what you exactly mean when you say that "will it be possible to login to the custom domain?" becasue for that , you would need to change the existing user's UPN value in the cloud from user@<tenant..onmicrosoft.com to user@<domain>.TLD . And then only you can use the new UPN value as user's username which can be used to logon. In this case , It will create a new User profile in all probability. 

Also as far as I think , you do not need to rejoin the laptop to the domain as you are in the same tenant. The machine will still get a PRT (primary refresh token in case of win10) from the cloud and continue to work . 

Hope this clarifies your queries. Please let us know in case you have any further queries. In case the details help you , please do mark this post as an answer so that other users having similar queries can benefit from the same. 

Thank you. 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!!

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:29 PM