none
Is it possible to use VS 2013 Ultimate to edit SSIS solutions created in VS Shell 2010?

Question

• We have a SQL Server 2012 in operation, with a whole set of SSIS and SSRS projects what were authored on the server in VS Shell 2010. 

I need to manage these files from my local PC and have VS 2013 Ultimate. I downloaded and installed Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013, but I don't see the option to create any new SSIS or SSRS solutions in VS 2013 ultimate, even after restarting the computer.

When I tried opening the solution, the Solution Explorer showed that the solution was incompatible. "This application is not installed."

Either I'm doing it wrong, or BIDS support does not sufficiently exist yet. Is it possible to edit the existing SSIS files using VS 2013 Ultimate and maintain the version of the solution? (That is, not convert them to a different SSIS version.)

Hatessunlight

Friday, November 13, 2015 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi hatessunlight,

>>but I don't see the option to create any new SSIS or SSRS solutions in VS 2013 ultimate, even after restarting the computer.

Do you mean you don't have the "Business Intelligence" tab in New Project window as below image shows?

Please check whether you have installed Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools. You can check with this steps: Control Panel -> Visual Studio 2013 -> Change -> Modify -> checked Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools.

If not, please check it and click the Update button to install it. Then install the Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013.

If installed, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

In addition, I tried open a SSIS project (which is created in VS Shell 2010) with VS2013, there are many warning message and some errors. Because there is a Visual Studio 2012 between VS2010 and VS2013. I suggest you upgrade the SSIS project with the order of VS2010 -> VS2012 -> VS2013.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi hatessunlight,

>>but I don't see the option to create any new SSIS or SSRS solutions in VS 2013 ultimate, even after restarting the computer.

Do you mean you don't have the "Business Intelligence" tab in New Project window as below image shows?

Please check whether you have installed Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools. You can check with this steps: Control Panel -> Visual Studio 2013 -> Change -> Modify -> checked Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools.

If not, please check it and click the Update button to install it. Then install the Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013.

If installed, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

In addition, I tried open a SSIS project (which is created in VS Shell 2010) with VS2013, there are many warning message and some errors. Because there is a Visual Studio 2012 between VS2010 and VS2013. I suggest you upgrade the SSIS project with the order of VS2010 -> VS2012 -> VS2013.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Thank you. This will help me set up the Business intelligence correctly on my Visual Studio. However, I am not permitted to upgrade the SSIS version so that it does not break other processes.

This addresses the main point of my question. Can I use VS 2013 to edit SSIS files written for SQL Server 2012 without converting the SSIS files? The answer appears to be no.

Hatessunlight

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:32 AM