2 Club sites running on SQL Server 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• User-445758669 posted

I finally got my club sites http://www.coachwebb.net/hawks and http://www.coachwebb.net/legion up and some what working but I imagine I went about if differently than everyone else because I probably have a different environment than everyone else.

I got tired of hassling with questions to the many various hosting companies and I bit the bullet and got a virtual dedicated server from Godaddy.  They were the only ones who would provide me with 10GB of storage (split between application files and SQL Server data storage) and basically the ability to do anything I wanted on that server.  And it cost me less than $45.00 per month.  There is one thing I can't do though and that is install VWD.  Somehow it's installation is blocked.  I wanted to use it's admin app on my server and it doesn't look as though I can unless someone can tell me how to do that.

I have 12 domains and 8 web sites so I'm really not increasing my total monthly costs by much once I get everything rolled onto that server.

However, I will tell you it was not an easy task getting 2 club apps to run from one SQL Server.  Since the admin and users are all done on a db called aspnetdb which I had to create on my SQL Server I had to be able to create 2 sets of users and admin roles, 1 for each club.  Figuring that one out was a time consumer and I'm still not sure it's going to continue to work.

Each of my club apps run from a different DB on SQL server but they both use the aspnetdb DB for admin and users.  I will probably be adding 1 or 2 more clubs (these are baseball teams) to the server so the aspnetdb DB will get a little more complicated to administer.

I don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone on this forum but I thought I would tell everyone about it just in case anyone was wanting to do the same thing.

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:19 PM

All replies

• User2069888697 posted

If you have both sites in different db's you could just run aspnet_regsql.exe on each of them there by giving them there own aspnet files.

Also if you did want to give them the same aspnet files for admin control all you need to do is add both applications to the same one with different application names, Application Id is stored in all the tables so each app should only see the info for that app.

I have never had 2 CSK's sharing the same aspnet files, but I have had a PSK and a DNN sharing them at one time or another.

Friday, April 14, 2006 2:46 PM