none
Modern Public Folder - Item Retention with AgeLimit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    On our Exchange 2016 DAG (on-prem) we have a Public Folder structure of approx. 80'000 folders and subfolders in total with a total size of 280 GB. Since this grew over years and our users (unfortunately) never delete items, I'd like to set a retention time of 3 years on all Public Folders. My expectation is that Exchange will then start to delete items as soon they are older that 3 years (based on their creation date).
    My idea is to set the "AgeLimit" on Public Folder level (something like: Get-PublicFolder -Identity \ -recurse | Set-PublicFolder -AgeLimit 1068) but I'm not sure if this will work. I basically could not find any hint on which property of an item the AgeLimit will trigger the deletion. Is it "LastModificationTime" or "CreationTime"?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Br,
    Philipp

Monday, October 8, 2018 4:00 PM

Answers

• Public folders do not support retention policies. That parameter does not apply to content within the folder, but the folder itself. If you want item-based solution, you will have to use some EWS-based script or similar.
    • Marked as answer by Novasyl Monday, October 15, 2018 7:55 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 8:17 PM

All replies

• Thats a great question and I would think it would be based upon modification date, however, I am going to run a test to see how this plays out and will let you know the results

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks from ALL versions of Exchange Offline EDB's, On-Premises Exchange Databases & Office 365. Export, Migrate/Recover into On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, October 8, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Public folders do not support retention policies. That parameter does not apply to content within the folder, but the folder itself. If you want item-based solution, you will have to use some EWS-based script or similar.
    • Marked as answer by Novasyl Monday, October 15, 2018 7:55 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 8:17 PM
  • Hi SlavaG,

If you want to set Public Folders Retention Age, You could refer to this link:

Exchange 2010 Public Folders Retention Age

Regards,

Alina

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:43 AM
  • Thanks for your asking. Did you resolve your issue ? If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer and close the post. Thank you for understanding. If you have any question, or update, please feel free to let us know. I wish you a happy life!

Regards,

Alina

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:35 AM
  • Thanks Vasil for your reply, (even this is kind of bad news for me...)
    Are you aware of an existing EWS-based solution for my 'challenge'? Otherwise I don't know how I should get our hundred-thousands of PuFo items under control...
    Regards,
    Philipp

Monday, October 15, 2018 7:59 AM