SQL Server 2012 SP 2 Upgrade to 2016 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I'm about to plan out our upgrade of an existing SQL Server 2012 SP2 Standard edition. We want to upgrade to SQL Server 2016 SP2. There are two questions that I am hoping to find an answer to. I've been doing a lot research but not sure if it actually yielded what I need.

1. Unable to find a download for SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition. I continue to come back to the Download for an Evaluation Edition of 180 days. However, I don't want to upgrade our Production Environment to an Evaluation Edition.

2. Can I re-use the Product Key for our existing SQL Server 2012 Edition for the new 2016 Edition?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus Hagelin

Monday, November 26, 2018 1:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

1.) You can either contact the reseller for a Installation media, or you can use Evaluation Edition with your license key, which controls the finak Edition, means with a Eval installer + license key for Standard Edition it will install Standard Edition.

2.) No, you have to purchase a new license key for SQL Server 2016.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Tom Phillips Monday, November 26, 2018 1:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marcus Hagelin Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:41 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

1.) You can either contact the reseller for a Installation media, or you can use Evaluation Edition with your license key, which controls the finak Edition, means with a Eval installer + license key for Standard Edition it will install Standard Edition.

2.) No, you have to purchase a new license key for SQL Server 2016.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Tom Phillips Monday, November 26, 2018 1:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marcus Hagelin Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:41 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Thanks for your help Olaf! Much appreciated.

Another question for you.

1. The 180 Day Evaluation Period is not applicable to me once I provide a SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition Product Key, correct?

• Edited by Marcus Hagelin Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:26 AM Wrong question
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:41 PM
  • Hi Marcus Hagelin,

If you press the SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition Product Key, the SQL Server Evaluation will change to SQL Server Standard Edition.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:53 PM