none
App package configuration: File size of .appxupload and the released app to download very high

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a question about the appxupload packages. When I created and uploaded my first UWP app package, I followed this guide:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh454036.aspx#Create

In step 6, it says we should include all architectures (x86, x64 and ARM), which results in a very huge appxupload file. In my case, the package is 19.5MB, even that the app does include very less assets. Up to here, I think everything is alright, because the package contains the binaries for all 3 architectures (each is about 6.7MB).

But after the app got published to the store, I realized that each user has to download the complete package of 19.5MB. This is a lot. Even a small Hello-World app is about 7MB in size. In Windows Phone 8, it was no problem to create an app that was smaller than 1MB.

My questions:

Is there a way to reduce the file size?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to include ARM (for phone) and x86 (for PC) only?

Why does every device download the whole 19,5MB package, and not only the binary for its platform (such as the 6,7MB ARM binary only)?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best regards from Munich,
    Benjamin

Saturday, September 19, 2015 3:08 PM

All replies

• I found out that it is possible to upload multiple appxupload packages, one for each architecture. In this way, a user only downloads the package for its platform.

But the downside is that it takes a while to create 3 packages. In addition, I still do not see an advantage of being able to create an appxupload package including all 3 architectures, as it is recommended in the documentation.

Anyone an idea?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 9:48 PM
  • When it looks like 20MB in store but when u try to download it becomes like 10MB. But again it is huge size. It is a really big problem.

The reason may be "ApplicationInsight" references. When I generate a new project it automatically adds references to them they are like 3-4 files in references.  

I also have the same problem. When somebody figured it out a solution please let us know it.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 7:30 AM