none
version control Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded and installed version control for Access 2010.

How do  I activate the version control?

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• It will depend on what (which) SCC provider you are using. (SCC = source code control).

So once you install the SCC add-in, you ALSO then have to ensure your computer has a standard SCC provider installed for the type of archive you plan to use.

If you using TFS (Team foundation Server), then you see this in your ribbon:

If you using Visual Source Safe (which is rather old), then you see this with your ribbon:

Given that Access 2010 is the LAST version of Access that supports the SCC add-in, then I don’t really recommend that you adopt this feature of Access. It is a nice feature, but since so few have been using it over the last 20 years of Access, then the feature was dropped for 2013 and beyond.

What I suggest is you use say this code here:

https://github.com/timabell/msaccess-vcs-integration

The above will export each access object out as a text file into a folder. You then run any current and standard SCC system – high on the list is GitHub.

So by adopting the above approach you can use SCC with Access and also have multiple developers working on the project at the same time.

There are a few issues, and one that comes to mind is that any report “set” to a specific printer is a challenge, since if you attempt to import (or export) such a report, then your dev computer will require that printer driver installed. To solve this issue, then I suggest removing the defined printer and adding code to switch to the correct printer in the “few” cases that you have reports set and defined to work with a specific printer.

So Access has had SCC control support built into the product for a very long time. With so few users adopting this great feature, the feature has now been deprecated. I don’t think it worth the time to get “setup” and to use Access 2010 SCC add-in, since you eventually upgrade to a later version, and thus be “stuck” with having not only lost all that time to setup SCC, but unable to use the feature in versions beyond Access 2010.

However, there are a number of examples on the web such as the above git example that would allow you to use SCC in versions beyond Access 2010 – I thus recommend that road.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

See if this article helps... Good luck!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:51 PM
  • I use TFS successfully with Visual Studio. I don' see TFS on my Access 2010 ribbon.

I don't use source safe. I don't see Source Safe on my Access 2010 ribbon.

I have a 'New from sourceSafe' database template, but it is greyed out, like something is missing.

SCC add-in is missing from my add-ins.

Source Control show under Customize Ribbon main tabs. I don't know what good it does.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Which ribbon shows will depend on what SCC provider(s) you have installed.

You have to install the add-in here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=6840

Note that when you do this, then you are able to check-in/out each item, and the Access UI will reflect this such as this screen shows:

So the Access UI will show as per above a "lock" icon, or "check mark" for objects that you checked-out and taken owner ship of. In addition to the ribbon you also see right click context added to Access such as this screen cap shows:

Regards,
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:47 PM
  • I have downloaded and installed Access Developer Extension many times with no luck. I am missing something!
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Ok, make sure you have the TFS SCCI provider also installed.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=TFSPowerToolsTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudioTeamFoundationServer2010MSSCC

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:16 PM
  • That download is outdated and does not install on my computer!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Well, what version you download has to match your version of Visual Studio.

Here is the one that is for vs2013

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=TFSPowerToolsTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudioTeamFoundationServer20132015M

I don't recall which version I original installed a few years ago. However, on my current dev machine, I am using vs2013, and the above install does activate the source control tab in Access 2010 for me.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:37 PM