Tools Version RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi.
    First of all, I didn't really know where to post this, and I'm desperate for some help..

I got the Visual Studio 2008 trial edit, and everytime I create/load a project I get this error:

The tools version "3.5" is unrecognized.

Please help me.

//Coron

By the way, it worked before.. I don't know what "destroyed" it..
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We provide you with several suggestions here:

1. Please check if your .NET Framework 3.5 has already been installed correctly.

If that’s the case, please download it here.

You could check it by looking at Add and Remove Program in the Control Panel.

Please check if these registry keys are exist:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\3.5]  “DefaultToolsVersion” = “2.0”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\2.0]

“MSBuildToolsPath” = “C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v2.0.50727\\”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\3.5]

“MSBuildToolsPath” = “C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v3.5\\”

Please try to check and see if they are missing.

If that’s the case, please add them after a suitable backup of your register, also, please take a notice that the value of the  variables above are based on the directory of your system driver.

Otherwise, I’d like to ask a few questions:

1.       What’s your Operating System?

2.       What kind of project are you loading?

3.       Could you please describe the error message in more detail ?

Hoping that could help!

Best regards,

Roahn
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Thank you!
    Might want to post something of what the registry will actually look like but I figured it out.  Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:47 PM
  • well i 've the .net framework already installed. i tried to figure out the problem with ma registry keys but not able to do so. note: i used regedit.exe and then add keys for MSBuild manually(how to add string values under them i dn't knw) can somebody help me with this? any method to create these MSBuild reg keys successfully at the back end, in a way that i would be able to succesfully create projects/n open previous one,without seeing this error: C:\Temp\2l5fohxf.lmj\Temp\ConsoleApplication1.csproj: The tools version "3.5" is unrecognized. thanx. best regards timm
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Thank you!
    Might want to post something of what the registry will actually look like but I figured it out.  Thanks again.

STEVEN if you have solve this problem,then you are the right man,plz explain how you have done it?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Hi Roahn Luo,

I met the same problem, and solved it with your solutions.
    You r very great. It's surely missing those register keys.

Thank you very much.

But I can't understand how it's happen.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 9:13 AM
  • I got same problem. I re-installed framework 3.5 nut nothing changed. Then i add missing registries as described above. Now it is ok. thanks alot.....

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:37 PM
  • hello everybody..

well, i got the saim error message.. i have to mention that its occurs only after i install the windows again from the cd and i change the location of the folder that contains the projects, many of them.. so i try to reinstall the framework from the link above and its steel give an error.. i try to do the thing with the registry but i am not sure i did it right coz i dont know how to add them or backup the reg, what i did is right click and create a new key or somthing but i did not know what to do with the  “DefaultToolsVersion” = “2.0” and generally i didnt know what i am doing... i have a lot of projects and no one is opening.. can somone help please?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Make sure these keys are present in the registry. If not present add it.. This should resolve this issue.
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\3.5] “DefaultToolsVersion”=”2.0″
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\2.0] “MSBuildToolsPath”=”C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v2.0.50727\\”
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\3.5] “MSBuildToolsPath”=”C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v3.5\\”

Procedure to add keys and value pairs.
    1. Start Command Prompt and run RegEdit.exe
    2. Browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
    3. Add a new Key and name it MSBuild
    4. Right Click on MSBuild and add new keys for
    ToolsVersions
    ToolsVersions\2.0
    ToolsVersions\3.5
    5. Then add String Values under each Key with values mentioned above.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:05 AM
  • please tell me where can i but the values 

“DefaultToolsVersion”=”2.0″ and the others

Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:30 AM