MMC Snap in .NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to use C# to develop a MMC snap in for 3.0. Documentation says .NET library is available. But how do i set the reference for it?

using Microsoft.ManagementConsole;

regards

Sudhir Hasbe

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:09 PM

Answers

• I was in the beta for MMC 3.0 (originally called 2.1) and I'm in the same boat as you.

Here is the run down:

• MMC 3.0 was really made for Windows Server 2003 R2. 
    • R2 is superset of Windows 2003 SP1, actually it installs like a feature pack on top of Server 2003 SP1 (sort of the old NT4 Option Pack that upgraded IIS3 to IIS4). 
    • R2 has a ton of new stuff that requires new MMC snap-ins.  Nearly all of these snap-ins take advantage of new features MMC 3.0. 
    • At first, the new MMC was only going to be in R2, Vista, and Longhorn server.  However, enough of us through a fit that they decided to backport it to XP and Windows 2003 SP1. 
    • The final MMC SDK will be available as part of the Windows 2003 Server R2 SDK also referred to as the Platform SDK.
    • Currently, if you search for the R2 Platofrm SDK, the updated documentation is available online. However, when trying to download the SDK, you just get the older Windows 2K3 SP1 SDK.
    • I have complained a lot about the missing R2 SDK.  I have been assured that the new Platform SDK for R2 with all of the MMC goodies in it will ship this month (February 2006). 
    • Link to the Platform SDK website - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sdkintro/sdkintro/devdoc_platform_software_development_kit_start_page.asp
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:29 AM

All replies

• I was in the beta for MMC 3.0 (originally called 2.1) and I'm in the same boat as you.

Here is the run down:

• MMC 3.0 was really made for Windows Server 2003 R2. 
    • R2 is superset of Windows 2003 SP1, actually it installs like a feature pack on top of Server 2003 SP1 (sort of the old NT4 Option Pack that upgraded IIS3 to IIS4). 
    • R2 has a ton of new stuff that requires new MMC snap-ins.  Nearly all of these snap-ins take advantage of new features MMC 3.0. 
    • At first, the new MMC was only going to be in R2, Vista, and Longhorn server.  However, enough of us through a fit that they decided to backport it to XP and Windows 2003 SP1. 
    • The final MMC SDK will be available as part of the Windows 2003 Server R2 SDK also referred to as the Platform SDK.
    • Currently, if you search for the R2 Platofrm SDK, the updated documentation is available online. However, when trying to download the SDK, you just get the older Windows 2K3 SP1 SDK.
    • I have complained a lot about the missing R2 SDK.  I have been assured that the new Platform SDK for R2 with all of the MMC goodies in it will ship this month (February 2006). 
    • Link to the Platform SDK website - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sdkintro/sdkintro/devdoc_platform_software_development_kit_start_page.asp
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:29 AM
  • This is exactly the information I have been searching for - thank you very much Jon!

Can you, perhaps, update this thread when you get confirmation that this SDK is actually available - I need to pitch writing some MMC stuff to my company for new dev, but know it will be a non-starter if the SDK is either unavailable, or still in beta.

Monday, February 27, 2006 7:29 PM
  • It's about time.  Here is the link to the R2 Platform SDK download, full ISO.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E15438AC-60BE-41BD-AA14-7F1E0F19CA0D&displaylang=en

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:41 PM
  • Thanks Jon.
    I'm about to start developing an mmc snapin and have come across mmc 3.0. My preference is to develop in .NET so mmc 3.0 looks perfect but it is only beta. When is the major release due?
    I have come across an opensource project which also allows to develop in .NET but for mmc 2.0, http://sourceforge.net/projects/mmclibrary, I am wondering which is the safer development option.
    Where are the mmc 3.0 samples, similar to the mmc 1.2 and 2.0 samples in the SDK download?
    the online help for mmc3.0 has this path, %MSSDK%\Samples\SysMgmt\MMC3.0, but I cannot see it in the installation
    Friday, May 5, 2006 11:59 AM