Must NetCF Version follow SQL Ce Version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hope you can help me on these Question.

Can this combination work if install in Mobile phone : 

Q1) Pre- Install NetCF3.5 and SQL Ce 3.5,  if I install SQL3.0/3.1 manually , Will there be any problem to use it?

Q2) Pre-Install NetCF2.0 and SQL Ce 3.0 , if I install  the latest of SQL Ce like 3.5 manually, will there be any problem to use it?

Thanks

Peace is the fruit of Love
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:04 AM

Answers

• From what I remember all WM 6.0 and 6.1 devices have NETCF V2 SP2 as well as SQL CE 3.1 in ROM.

SQL CE 3.1 and 3.5 are side by side versions so it's OK to install 3.5 on a device which has 3.1.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:29 AM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi BinaryWave,

If the above versions already installed on device and if you are trying to install the belowed versions --> you will be notifed that already above versions is available and will not be installed.

If you are trying to install the above versions than available on the device --> It will install them with out any problems

Pre-Install NetCF2.0 and SQL Ce 3.0 , if I install  the latest of SQL Ce like 3.5 manually, will there be any problem to use it? -->
    Please find system requirement for SQL CE 3.5:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/system-requirements.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Hi Malleswar,

Thank for the reference.  I have question as below :

Cases

Some windows MObile 6.1  have pre-installed  NetCF 2.0  But  SQL Ce Not Installed

Now , if I  installed SQL Ce 3.0/3.1  first and NetCF V2.0 Application with  SQL Ce 3.0 or 3.1 -base Database. This will work.

What if I installed NetCf 3.5 and SQL Ce 3.5 later?

NetCF 3.5 installation will be  ok.  But what about SQL Ce 3.5?  What will happen to the existing SQL Ce 3.0 or 3.1-base Database already inside?

Thanks

Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:51 AM
  • From what I remember all WM 6.0 and 6.1 devices have NETCF V2 SP2 as well as SQL CE 3.1 in ROM.

SQL CE 3.1 and 3.5 are side by side versions so it's OK to install 3.5 on a device which has 3.1.

• Marked as answer by warrentang Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:29 AM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Hi Ilya Tumanov,

Thank u for the info on version.  I just bought a windows 6.1 and will wait for the 6.5 later this year.

I can check the NetCF Version with the tool provided. But I can not check the same for SQL Ce.

Yes, NetCF V2 is installed on my Windows 6.1 

This is the way I check for SQL CE :  > Settings> System  then look for and click   "Remove programs" tool.

If There is no SQL CE listed in the box that means no Installation. Is this corect method?  Is there other way?

I have the same situation for my Windows Mobile 5.0 and used the same method.

Is there a matirx to show NetCF Version with or without SP2 ?

Thanks
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:49 AM
  • "Remove programs" only lists programs which were installed and can be remove. Since you cannot remove whatever's in ROM (as it’s technically part of the OS), it won’t show NETCF version in ROM or SQL CE version in ROM.

I’m not sure what you mean by “matirx to show NetCF Version with or without SP2”. You can check whatever version(s) of NETCF are present by launching \windows\cgacutil.exe and then comparing numerical version you get against known versions for RTM and SPs. You don’t need it though – WM5 has NETCF V1 SP3 and WM6/6.1 has NETCF V2 SP2 in ROM.

As to SQL CE, I’m not aware of official procedure of checking the version. Indirect way would be to look up it’s managed assembly in GAC (usually located in \windows\GAC_*.dll).

Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I am taking a look at the version numbers of the DLLs (e.g. sqlceqp30.dll) that make up SQL CE which are in the ROM of the device I am using and the version number is 3.0.5206.0.

Performing a search on this DLL on my machine reveals that this is a DLL for SQL CE 3.0 and not SQL CE 3.1.

SQL CE 3.1 DLL version numbers are 3.0.5300.0.

Please could someone confirm this as it is slightly confusing having two versions of SQL CE having exactly the same named DLLs.

Thank you very much.

Paul Diston

http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:52 AM