none
AAD DS - MS RDS Licensing server

Question

• I have set up a single server RDS installation attached to an Office 365 Azure AD and Domain joined to Azure AD DS.

The individual users cannot use RDS because the licensing server cannot issue licenses to the users in the domain. I have SALs ready for purchase but haven't yet because I can't get the configuration working.

Please advise - is this not possible?

Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:16 AM

All replies

• Just in case that wasn't sufficient information - the exact technical problem is that the RDS licensing server cannot be added to the licensing servers group in the Azure Active Directory.

I am using Azure AD and AAD DS (Domain Services) to allow the domain users to login to the server using their Office 365 credentials. The server is domain joined to AAD DS.

I want to load the server with the Client RDS SALs to allow the non-admin domain users to login as work on the server.

The question is - is this not supported - can Azure AD DS not allow a client VM to serve RDS licenses to the users - or is there a different approach to set this up?

Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:36 PM
  • Hello ElementalComputing,

At the moment, guidance is to manually track license compliance. Due to this, the lack of assigning a license does not block deployment/usage, as user licensing is not currently enforced.

Thanks,

-Arturo Lucatero (MSFT)

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Thanks Arturo,

I have a couple of questions there - running a VM on Azure with MS Server 2016 - I had thought that server o/s limited the RD Sessions to two concurrent admin users unless you run RD session host and an RD Licensing Server - is that information not true?

Do the Azure VM's not have this limitation?

OR more generally, how do I implement this for more than 2 non-admin users?

My experience with the behaviour of remote desktop is that without RD Session Host role than the limit is two users and the RD Session host role requires a license server or shuts down the ability to rdp after the grace period expires.

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Arturo,

Any Update on this? I'm looking to publish a remote application which will require the "RD Session Host" role. I have installed the "RD Licensing" role selected the "Per User" licensing Mode and activated the server in the "RD Licensing Manager" console. I have RDS Per User SPLA Licensing.  I see a warning when I select "Review Configuration" in the "RD Licensing Manager" that states:

"This license server is not a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group in Active Directory Domain Services etc..."

From the answer in this post it would appear that I can ignore this warning and will simply loose the ability to track/report usage but this will never result in my users being unable to access remote resources.  Is this correct?

It would appear through Microsoft's documentation that as long as I can prove we have the necessary licensing for all users that this is supported and the Per User mode is more of an honor system.

"RDS Per User CALs are not enforced by RD Licensing. As a result, client connections can occur regardless of the number of RDS Per User CALs installed on the license server. This does not absolve administrators from Microsoft Software License Terms requirements to have a valid RDS Per User CAL for each user. Failure to have an RDS Per User CAL for each user, if Per User licensing mode is being used, is a violation of the license terms."

Do I still need to install the "RDS per User" CALs in the "RD Licensing Manager"? Confirmation would be wonderful as this is a feature I would much like to use with AAD DS.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

>>From the answer in this post it would appear that I can ignore this warning and will simply loose the ability to >>track/report usage but this will never result in my users being unable to access remote resources.  Is this correct?

Yes. This won't affect to users ability to use services. Only issues is with license tracking.

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:42 AM