none
Entry Framework 4.5: Query Builder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a newby to Entry Framework. I'm working though Julia Lerman's book and I'm stuck with Query Builder method. I get the following compile error:

Error   1   'System.Data.Entity.DbSet<Chapter2ConsoleApp.Contact>' does not
    contain a definition
    for 'Where' and the best extension method overload
    'System.Linq.Queryable.Where<TSource>(System.Linq.IQueryable<TSource>,
    System.Linq.Expressions.Expression<System.Func<TSource,bool>>)'
    has some invalid arguments 
    C
    :\EF\ProgrammingEntityFramework\Chapter2ConsoleApp\Program.cs  59  32 
    Chapter2ConsoleApp

There's the code.

using (SampleEntities context = new SampleEntities())
                {
                  var contacts = context.Contacts.Where("it.FirstName = 'Robert'").OrderBy("it.LastName");
                                    foreach (Contact contact in contacts)
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine("{0} {1}",
                                    contact.FirstName.Trim(),
                                    contact.LastName);
                    }
                }
                Console.Write("Press Enter...");
                Console.ReadLine();
            }

A Linq to entity with a lambda works OK. When I look at the bad code via IntelliSense I can see that there is a Where method. Finally, I've tried a cast [(IObjectContextAdapter)] on the context but then I couldn't get the Contact method.

Would anyone help me?

Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi JohnBrm;

From Microsoft documentation, "ObjectQuery also implements a set of query builder methods that can be used to sequentially construct query commands that are equivalent to Entity SQL".

The ObjectQuery class states, "Represents a typed query against a conceptual model in a given object context.", note that it states an object context and NOT a DbContext. Therefore to get the code to work you either work with a ObjectContext which is NOT the default when creating a EF model with version 4.1 and above or you use the IObjectContextAdapter of the DbContext class to get an instance of the ObjectContext from the current DbContext.

// Using the DbContext: The following code should work.
    using System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure;
    using System.Data.Objects;

// Add the following line to get a ObjectContext
    ObjectContext objCtx = ((IObjectContextAdapter) context).ObjectContext;

// Modify the following line to execute the query
    var contacts = objCtx.CreateObjectSet<Contact>().Where("it.FirstName = 'Robert'")
                          .OrderBy("it.LastName");

If you switch to using ObjectContext then there is no change to your code.  

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by Chester HongModerator Monday, April 1, 2013 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:21 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:28 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 5:34 AM

All replies

•   If I were using lambada with Linq, it would be like below.
     var contacts = context.Contacts.Where(a => a.FirstName = 'Robert').OrderBy(a => a.LastName);
          foreach (Contact contact in contacts)
     Are you sure you are doing it right.

http://linqtextquerybuilder.codeplex.com/

Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Hi JohnBrm;

From Microsoft documentation, "ObjectQuery also implements a set of query builder methods that can be used to sequentially construct query commands that are equivalent to Entity SQL".

The ObjectQuery class states, "Represents a typed query against a conceptual model in a given object context.", note that it states an object context and NOT a DbContext. Therefore to get the code to work you either work with a ObjectContext which is NOT the default when creating a EF model with version 4.1 and above or you use the IObjectContextAdapter of the DbContext class to get an instance of the ObjectContext from the current DbContext.

// Using the DbContext: The following code should work.
    using System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure;
    using System.Data.Objects;

// Add the following line to get a ObjectContext
    ObjectContext objCtx = ((IObjectContextAdapter) context).ObjectContext;

// Modify the following line to execute the query
    var contacts = objCtx.CreateObjectSet<Contact>().Where("it.FirstName = 'Robert'")
                          .OrderBy("it.LastName");

If you switch to using ObjectContext then there is no change to your code.  

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by Chester HongModerator Monday, April 1, 2013 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnBrm Monday, April 1, 2013 9:28 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Hi darnold924.

I had early created a Linq To Entities call with no problem. As I'm starting with EF I won't to look in to Query Builder methods.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Hi Fernando,

Thank you very much for you solution!

I found one of your replies to someones question (in the same area) an I got as far as IObjectContectAdapter in this call: With your example I think I know unterstand how I can use ObjectContext.... time will see.

ObjectQuery<Contact> contacts = ((IObjectContextAdapter) context).ObjectContext.CreateQuery<Contact>(queryString);

Many Thanks.
    • Edited by JohnBrm Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by JohnBrm Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:58 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Hi JohnBrm;

Did you assign the points to the wrong post? Your solution is what I posted but you combined both statements into 1 where I posted it in 2 separate statements for clarity. Also in what I posted ObjectContext can be used without creating a new one seeming I keep a reference to it.

Fernando (MCSD)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hi Fernando,

Sorry for the confusion. I am new to MSDN and when I copied my code it was in the wrong place. It should have be in sentance 3 (... in this call:).

Your example was very clear. Thank you. I was trying to say that I have used IObjectContextAdapter before but not correctly. Thanks to to your help I now understand it.

Was again, many thanks for your help.

John

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi John;

My comment was that you did not mark my post as the answer to the question but marked your post as the answer to your own question.

Fernando (MCSD)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Once again,

thanks for your help.

John

Monday, April 1, 2013 9:22 AM
  •   

Not a problem John, glad I was able to help.

Thank you for updating the solution. Have a nice day.

Fernando (MCSD)

Monday, April 1, 2013 1:11 PM