none
"This copy of Windows is not Genuine", trying to switch to audit mode (SHIFT-CTRL-F3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've installed my first WES7 image using IBW and an answer file that I've created.

I've put my Volume License Runtime Key in the answer file in Shell-Setup | ProductKey setting for the Specialize configuration pass.

After the installation, the system reboots and starts "Windows Welcome". Pressing SHIFT-CTRL-F3 I immediately get a black screen with a "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" sign. I've tried to wait for a while, but nothing happens.

Resetting the system and rebooting it, WES7 reaches the desktop and it is correctly activated.

Have you any hint?

Thank you in advance

Panino

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

my problem has been solved.

I've just moved Mode=Audit and ForceShutdown=False settings from pass 5 to 7!

Now the system reboots in Audit mode with the correct Product key and it shows as Genuine.

Thank you Sean and Knarz from your previous posts.

Panino

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• i know this situation from my normal win7 installation. do you have integrated some updates? i know this behaviour only from updating the wim file with some kbs and than i also had this message for the very first logon.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Hello Knarz,

thank you for your reply.

No, I've not integrated updates. For the first tests, I'm using the original WES7/32 SP1 DVD.

Panino

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:15 PM
  • I've tried to set WinEmb-Deployment, Reseal, Mode = Audit in pass 5 (Audit System) as read in the docs.

After reboot, I get Windows activation screen again (is it ok?) and after pressing SHIFT-CTRL-F3 I immediately get a black screen with a "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" sign.

Maybe I'm missing something..

Panino

Friday, July 15, 2011 6:46 AM
  • I've interesting additional information: after the black screen with a "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" sign, the next reboot shows the usual blue desktop, containing the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" string for some time (1 minute?).

Then the string disappears.

At this point, Control Panel "System menu" shows a genuine product logo.

All the next reboots are ok from now.

Panino

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:34 AM
  • When you say "Volume License Runtime Key" is this a key for Windows 7 or a WES7? You cannot use a Windows 7 key with WES7.

What licensing level is the key for WS7E or WS7P?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hello Sean, Thank you for your message. I've used the key for Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WS7E SKU) that I've received from Microsoft. I've requested it by filling the Embedded Activation Application Form and sending it to Microsoft. Best Regards Panino
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hello,

Looking into System events, I saw several "windows license failure" before the last reboot.

So, I've tried to add the product key even in Setup\UserData\ProductKey\Key (WinPE phase).

Now, after pressing Shift-Ctrl-F3 the system shows a black screen without any license error message.

The cursor is alive (as in the previous situation), an USB key flashes when inserted, but the system does not enter Audit mode.

After a power cycle, the system reboots reporting itself as Genuine.

This time, there are no "windows license failure" events into the System Events log.

So, it seems that the problem is not "caused" by the Product key and license mechanism.

I think that another problem is just stopping WES7 before getting the valid license at phase 4.

What do you think about my consideration?

Panino

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Hello,

my problem has been solved.

I've just moved Mode=Audit and ForceShutdown=False settings from pass 5 to 7!

Now the system reboots in Audit mode with the correct Product key and it shows as Genuine.

Thank you Sean and Knarz from your previous posts.

Panino

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:55 AM