Unable to find app in store search RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the same problem.  I can't get my app to appear with any keyword search and I can't create an ad campaign for it.  I've worked with two support reps and both made the same suggestion that I go to the uservoice forum where I was redirected back to support.  It seems to be a mystery how to get a UWP app to appear in the store.  Maybe I have to bribe someone, because the claim that there is a new "algorithm" doesn't jive and I suspect it's just something to hide behind while some flunkies try and fix the store.  Try, for example, searching "FreeCell".  You'll get one "App" that's really a game and it's rated 2.3 stars.  You'll also get around 130 games.  You can't look at all of the results, though, only some of them and they will include games like "Chess Unlimited" and "Mahjong HD+".

I am beyond frustrated with the incompetence.  It's no wonder the Windows store has such a bad reputation.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Cygnus X-1,

Could you please check if you are able to access your app in the store directly through the URL? The store URL of your app would be of this format:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/<unique ID>

You can find the store URL for your app for Windows 10 as well as Win 8.1 and earlier by looking under App Management -> App identity in the left navigation menu in DevCenter for this particular app.

Thanks,

Anusha

Monday, September 7, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Anusha,

I am able to access my app directly, but otherwise it does not appear in any listing.  I'm having trouble understanding why Microsoft would purposely make my app undiscoverable.  Also, I just found out that for my "FreeCellSolver" app, I can't create an ad campaign with the tag line "Solve any FreeCell game" because, apparently, I'm not allowed to use the word "FreeCell" or the words "free cell".  Could you explain that to me?

Monday, September 7, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hey Cygnus X-1,

About the tagline - Our current ads editorial policy disallows anything related to card games in the tagline as it can become a potential ad for gambling. You could try including other keywords related to the app category instead.

I am able to find this app by searching for it (both with and without spaces), both on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I will redirect this post to the relevant store forum where you can find help about app search. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Anusha,

I have to thank you for at least providing some information.  I won't mark this thread answered, though.  Here's why:

1) I have never heard of anyone gambling on FreeCell.  It's a single-player game.

2) It still doesn't explain why now two "Apps" appear when you search for "FreeCell", but neither of them are "Apps" and my app doesn't appear.

3) You didn't find my app with a search.  You actually found it by basically typing in the name.  If, for example, you type in "free cell solver" and press <Enter>, my app will not appear, yet there will be 23 results in the "Games" category.

These new draconian search restrictions are baffling.  I have to imagine most people aren't happy with the idea of a search engine deciding to hide results from users.  Ranking the results makes perfect sense, but that's nowhere near what's happening now.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:20 PM