Azure Storage - WADLogsTable - SSIS Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

Is there a SSIS Package which I can use to extract the data from Azure Table Storage? I looked a this http://consultingblogs.emc.com/jamiethomson/archive/2009/05/14/viewing-windows-azure-log-files-using-ssis.aspx but this not what I'm after.

Would be good to direct connection to Azure Storage and perfrom nightly ETL for SSRS Render.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:29 AM

Answers

• Azure Table Storage is not a RDBMS, so there is no standard driver for it in SSIS. You could use the Custom Source Component features in SSIS Designer to create the necessary logic to query Windows Azure Table Storage and retrieve the data, and use SSIS transformation capabilities to persist it into an on-premise SQL Server for SSRS to render against.

--Trevor H.
    Send files to Hotmail.com: "MS_TREVORH"
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:56 PM

All replies

• Something like this might do the trick: http://www.timecockpit.com/en/blogs/10-11-12/Custom_SSIS_Data_Source_For_Loading_Azure_Tables_Into_SQL_Server.aspx. It outlines both reading an Azure Table without knowing its schema and building a custom SSIS data source.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:15 AM
  • I tried to compile and deploy the Project but the Azure Storage task never shows up on Choose Items - SSIS Data Flow Items. I did copy all the required dlls and used gacutil to register. No luck. Are there any other tools or alternative so that that azure storage table data can be rendered in SSRS or similar?
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Azure Table Storage is not a RDBMS, so there is no standard driver for it in SSIS. You could use the Custom Source Component features in SSIS Designer to create the necessary logic to query Windows Azure Table Storage and retrieve the data, and use SSIS transformation capabilities to persist it into an on-premise SQL Server for SSRS to render against.

--Trevor H.
    Send files to Hotmail.com: "MS_TREVORH"
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi Suzzane,

You might not be able to. SSIS is only a tool for Extraction Transformation and then Loading. Which means, you extract whatever data you want from source A, transform it, and then load it to source B.

As for Azure Table Storage, you need to write an application to do that, then use SSIS tool > Process Tasks to call the application, and then transform to a csv file or something, then load that csv file on source B.

Azure Table Storage > Application pulls the information > SSIS executes the application > Transforms the storage data to CSV or whatever format you prefer > Load it to another source.

There isn't a direct connection to Azure Storage due to the security reasons. I am doing similar to what you are doing, instead with Azure Blob Storage.

I hope this gives you what you want.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:48 PM