Big screen, little app

General discussion

• Forum,

I am writing Metro-app that keeps track of a relatively small amount of data for users.  For each record, there are only a few elements of data, all of which is textual in nature.  There is a ListView that I use to display the list of records.  Now, on my 12.5" Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet, it looks great, but on my 27" Dell Ultrasharp U2711, My four, single-line text boxes and three buttons look very, very lonely indeed.  I guess I could add a dancing hamster to the UI or something, but that is annoying fluff used to fill the void left by the limited scope of my app.  In the desktop world, the window for my app would just be small.  Now that I'm working in the single-or-double tasking world of Metro, I don't exactly know how to proceed.  Has anyone else hit upon a situation in which the scope of your app is smaller than a user's screen could be?

Friday, July 06, 2012 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hello.

change size by

Windows.Graphics.Display.DisplayProperties.ResolutionScale

I have not tried・・・

Monday, July 09, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Isn't the following consulted?

How to scale apps?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ja-JP/winappswithcsharp/thread/eab34299-bceb-41b1-b0e5-e7ea965616d6

Monday, July 09, 2012 9:38 AM
  • The question is not "How do I make my content bigger?"  Making my textboxes 2.5 times bigger on the 27" screen would look very strange, and people across the room could then see some potentially sensitive information.  The question is "What do I do when my Metro-style app uses more screen space than the app actually needs to fulfill its design goals?"
    Monday, July 09, 2012 2:43 PM