Metro access to the MS HDA class driver

Question

• Is it possible to access the MS HDA class driver using the IDeviceIoControl, ICreateDeviceAccessAsync

and  IDeviceRequestCompletionCallback interfaces from a C++ Metro device app?

Alexander J Kovacs

As an edit and to be more specific, I would like to access functionality in an upper filter driver attched to the HDA class driver.
    • Edited by AJKovacs Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:45 PM Update
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Alexander,

How is your upper filter driver certified and installed?

Is this for a device you created?

If yes, you can write a driver INF for your hardware that installs our class driver + your filter driver, get that certified & submit the corresponding device metadata, then you can access that interface from an app.

The key thing that we are looking for is that the IHV that created the device is the one who should be enabling the access. 

Thanks.

-Bobby

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hi Alexander,

You are only allowed to access the interfaces your custom driver/filter publishes.

Thanks.

-Bobby

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sorry for the delay. I will pass your request on to our device driver guru and have him get back to you early next week. If you don't hear from him by Wednesday please bump this post and I will make sure he gets in touch with you.

Thanks much,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

I am investigating this.

Looks like it is not possible, but I am trying to confirm for sure.

Thanks

-Bobby

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing as much info as you can gather regarding this.

Alexander J Kovacs

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi Alexander,

How is your upper filter driver certified and installed?

Is this for a device you created?

If yes, you can write a driver INF for your hardware that installs our class driver + your filter driver, get that certified & submit the corresponding device metadata, then you can access that interface from an app.

The key thing that we are looking for is that the IHV that created the device is the one who should be enabling the access. 

Thanks.

-Bobby

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

Would we also be able to access the HDA class driver functionality or would that have to be duplicated in the filter driver?

Alexander J Kovacs

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi Alexander,

You are only allowed to access the interfaces your custom driver/filter publishes.

Thanks.

-Bobby

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:41 PM