none
Expand Hard Disk Not Working? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 VM created under Win 2008 Svr R2 with Hyper-V role installed. By mistake I made the original partition too small (20gb). When I use the wizard to expand it to 120 gb (dynamic), everything looks cool. But the VM is stuck at 19.8 gb total drive C. As a knob twiddle, I tried compacting the Drive C using the Virtual Hard Disk wizard, and it failed with error...

The system failed to compact 'c:\...'. Error Code: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation."

There are 200 gb free on the hard disk. Any ideas ? Thanks.
    BR,
    Mark Story
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't know, seems like bugs to me on two fronts:

1. I dynamically resize the hard disk from 20 gb to 123gb; Virtual HD ATA Properties shows capacity as 123901 MB, but capacity remains at 20377 MB. I guess I need to buy virtual Partition Magic :-)

2. I add a SCSI adapter and hard disk as a workaround, but I can't see any way to to see it or format it in Windows 7. That very handy Admin Tool "Computer Management" or (at least) Disk Manager appears to be missing from Windows 7 ! The most friendly admin utility Microsoft made... so let's get rid of it ?

Well, if anyone has a clue as to what is going on, would appreciate it.
    BR,
    Mark
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:38 PM
  • All working now...

• Marked as answer by MarkEStory2 Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:14 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:11 AM
  • I'm facing the same issue on compact.  What was your resolution?

Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:28 PM
  • I have a Windows 7 machine running in a Hyper-V 2008 R2 Failover Cluster and I was trying to turn it into a template.  I defraged the C: and shut down the guest.  When trying to Compact the disk in SCVMM or in Hyper-V Manager I get the same error.

Error (12700)
    VMM cannot complete the Hyper-V operation on the HV02.oriones.com server because of the error: 'The system failed to compact 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3\BaseW7\BaseW7\BaseW7_disk_1.vhd'. Error Code: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation

(The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation (0x80070299))

Recommended Action

Resolve the issue in Hyper-V and then try the operation again.

I'd love to know what you did to resolve it.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Has anyone came up with a solution for this issue ".... file system limitation"?

I just came across the same issue using my setup. (all updated up to today in regards to WinUpdates...)

* Tried to Compact a VHD (Win7 Guest OS - not that should matter) that was about 27GB in size using VMM 2008 R2 on a Win2008 R2 Hyper-V server and got the error

* Tried to do the compact on the Win2008 R2 in the Hyper-V Manager and got the same error also

* Move the VHD to a clean new server with 3TB of disk space and the HD was a new format and only had 2 running VMs on it so there was no disk fragmentation or anything like that. I just used the Hyper-V Manager on this new server ... same error.

I don't need to run the COMPACT however it would be nice to be able to run it ;-) ....

Anyone came up with a solution on this or reason for it?

Let me know.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Use "GodMode" in Windows 7 to expand the hard drive after dynamic VM hard drive was expanded.

GodMode - Administrative Tools - Create and format hard disk partitions

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html#ixzz1GwB5CtNJ

Friday, March 18, 2011 8:23 AM