none
can we host wcf service on port 80? RRS feed

• Question

• I need a suggestion regarding the hosting wcf rest service on port 80. I devloped a service and I am hosting this service as windows service on port 80 and this service wouldn't talk to the outside world. The communication is between local browser and service. In windows 7 and later versions I am using netsh and in XP I am using httpcfg to reserve namepsace on port 80.

If I distribute this to every one would it work on every machine. Is it the correct approch? What are the pros and cons in this approach?

I am suposed to use port 80 only.

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From my experience, it is not recommended to do this, 80 is the default port for HTTP request and most often used by Hypertext Transfer Protocol. I find you already open a discussion here.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 28, 2014 8:04 AM
  • Thanks Haixia Xie but in case of secured environments port 80 should be open always. so I am trying to host my service in  port 80 by reserving namespace. And in my scenario the communication is only between local browserand local service which resides in the system.

I don't know where you are coming up with this. Port 80 is no more secure than any other port that's opened that has a program or programs listening on the port. Web services shouldn't be listing on port 80, and they should be listing on any high port, ports above 1023, that do not have a program already listing on the port.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From my experience, it is not recommended to do this, 80 is the default port for HTTP request and most often used by Hypertext Transfer Protocol. I find you already open a discussion here.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 28, 2014 8:04 AM
  • Thanks Haixia Xie but in case of secured environments port 80 should be open always. so I am trying to host my service in  port 80 by reserving namespace. And in my scenario the communication is only between local browserand local service which resides in the system.
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:45 PM

I don't know where you are coming up with this. Port 80 is no more secure than any other port that's opened that has a program or programs listening on the port. Web services shouldn't be listing on port 80, and they should be listing on any high port, ports above 1023, that do not have a program already listing on the port.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:15 PM