none
.NET Framework 2.0 problem when manually uninstalling and reinstalling NET Framework 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 became corrupted on one of our WinXP Pro SP3 computers - apparently during a Windows Update cycle.  Now some applications which depend .NET FWK 2.0 won't work.  The application's vendor recommended using MS's procedure to totally uninstall and erase .NET FWK 2.0 and re-install.  I followed instructions in MS KB Doc #908077 [How to manually remove and then reinstall the.NET Framework 2.0].

When I ran the .NET Framwork 2.0 redistributable (NOT for SP2) reinstaller after doing the manual cleanout in described in the instructions, I got the following error: Setup cannot continue because this version of the .net framework is incompatible with a previously installed one.  There is no redistributable full package) for NET FW 2.0 SP2

There are NOW NO other NET Frameworks version 2.0 on this computer.  Bu there are other Frameworks versions on the compute: .NET  1.1, 3.0 SP1, 3.5, 4 Client Profile, 4 Extended.  There are no others.

What do I need to uninstall in order to get .NET FW2 SP2 reinstalled on this computer?

Friday, November 4, 2011 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi - I finally got access to the problem computer.  After running chkdsk /f 2 times I was able to reinstall the .net framework 3.5 sp1 and its updates manually.  I was also able to re-install .net framework 1.1.  Evidence suggests we have a physically failing system hard drive and need to replace it.  Given the age of the computer and the absense of our product recover cd, we will be replacing the machine.

Grant Ellsworth www.pequodsystems.com
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:07 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• If you have .NET 3.5 installed, that includes 2.0 and 3.0 as an integral part of it.  Which means if 2.0 is corrupted,  most likely you will need to uninstall and reinstall 3.5.  It won't hurt to uninstall 3.5 by itself, it won't interfere with 4.0 or 1.1 because 3.5 uses the same CLR as 3.0 and 2.0 so they are grouped together as a independent set of frameworks so are totally separate from 4.0 and 1.1.

So I would recommend reinstalling 3.5 and that should fix the 2.0 problem. 

Tom Overton
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:11 AM
  • I have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 install on the Win XP Pro SP3.   When I try to reinstall byrunning Dotnetfx35.exe - (full install including SP1), I get error message :

Windows Installer Package:

C:\<randomlong dir name>\vs_setup.ms_ could not be opened

When I  try to run c:\windows\micrsoft.net\framework\3.5\vs_setup.msi to uninstall or install, I get mesage:

The installation source for this product is not available. 
    Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

And now ALL the applications that need mscoree.dll and friends in the system32\urttemp directory will not work.

What next?

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:29 AM
  • On one of our winxp pro sp3 computers, we had a file corruption in our .net frameworks 2.0 sp2 files.  We had .net framworks version up thru 3.5 sp1.  Due to problemss with reinstalling .net 2.0, I had to use the the dotnetcleanup tool to clean out all the .net versions.  I found a ms doc/note which indicated we could use the full distribution .net 3.5 sp1 (dotnetfx35.exe) to recover all of our .net versions. 

When I run dotnetfx3.5,  terminates in error while installing .net 2.0 with the following error: "error occurred while initializing fusion. setup could not load fusion with loadlibraryshim(). error: 0x80131700"

I used the recommended workaround (below):

1.      Delete COMPLUS_VERSION environment variable set if it exists. (Right click “my computer” and select “Properties”, the environment variable is in “advanced” tab).

**** there was none

2.      Rename %windir%\WinSxS\Policies folder / **** Done 
    3.      Rename all the folders with the name “x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b…” under the folder “C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\”. / **** moved them all out of the folder
    4.      Rename mscoree.dll in %windir%\system32. / **** there was none
    5.      Delete the key “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NET Framework\policy\v2.0” key. / **** there was none

I also tried another form of the3.5 delivery: dotnet35setup.exe - ended the same way ....  same results
    =====================

I also tried to build the .net environment incrementally by installing each level separately.  I started with .net 1.1; I then tried .net 2.0 sp2  (NetFx20SP2_x86.exe) - it failed with error - cyckic redundancy check on system.xml.dll; then I tried installing .net 2.0 (dotnetfx.exe) - got the same error.

What's the next step to get the .net system rebuilt?

• Merged by Alexander Sun Monday, November 7, 2011 10:28 AM Duplicate
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:21 AM
  • First, .NET Framework 1.1 has nothing to do with your 2.0/3.0/3.5 issue.

Given the multiple install attempts, I recommend you start over as follows:

Check your installed programs for anything related to .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5. Use Add/Remove... in descending version order if found.

Use Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework cleanup tool to remove any 2.0/3.0/3.5 remnants found:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then download the .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 cumulative installer:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Before running the installer, clean out your %temp% directory (the Temp folder associated with the administrator user you intend to use to run the installer) and disable all AV/anti-malware/firewall software.

Run the cumulative installer from an account with full administrative rights.

If you encounter another failure, please share complete logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&amp;displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hello pvdg42 - I already ran dotnetcleanup and removed everything as described in original post.  I also cleared out the temp folder, etc.  The only thing i did not do was to totally disable the AVG - I did disable the real-time resident shield so it wouldn't check on files I as I was accesing them and running them.   I set error logging to verbose in registry before running installers. I did download and run the dotnet35.exe cummulative installer - I think I made that clear in my original post. I have some pretty big logs.  Should I collect those and upload instead of re-running the whole mess?

• Edited by GrantE1 Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:46 PM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:43 PM
  • I was suggesting the steps I mentioned, even though you've been through it, to try to establish a clean baseline, then capture all logs in the event of another failure.

You mentioned that you did not completely disable your AV software.

So, suit yourself. If you want to share your vslogs.cab, produced by the Collect.exe I linked for you, then potential helpers here will be able to see the entire picture and (hopefully) offer you useful suggestions.

Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi Grant,

First, if you want to uninstall .NET Framework, I recommend you uninstall the .NET Frameworks in this order: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1>>.NET Framework 3.0 SP2>>.NET Framework 2.0 SP2, because  the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 are the extension of .NET Framework 2.0 SP2.

Second, if you can ensure these three .NET Frameworks have been uninstalled on your side, please try to download .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Full from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25150

The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 automatically.

In addition, if you encounter any problem during the uninstall, I recommend you try the command line to uninstall them: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

If the command line still cannot uninstall them entirely, I recommend you try the MsiInv tool to uninstall them: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

There are some installation tips of .NET Framework:

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Download and run the Log Collection Tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Upload the vslogs.cab file located in %temp% folder to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:30 AM
  • I have never heard of windows live Skydrive.  I emailed to you the logs.  I eagerly await your feedback.

=================================

I located and put the cab/zip on skydrive since writitng above.  See other msg in thread for details.

• Edited by GrantE1 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:56 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hello all - i've uploaded vslogs an cleanup logs to skydrive:

here's the link:

https://skydrive.live.com/?#!/?cid=3fe5537dd4c4b1ee&permissionsChanged=1&id=3FE5537DD4C4B1EE%21104!cid=3FE5537DD4C4B1EE&id=3FE5537DD4C4B1EE%21105

there are 3 files:

vslogs0.cab - logs collected BEFORE last 100% cleanout

Cleanuplogs.zip - logs of final celanup before last attempt to intsll of dot net 35 + sp1

vslogs.cab- logs from running dotnet35 .net Framewwork+SP1 full package installer -after cleanup to establish clean baseline.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Hi Grant,

From your log:

[11/07/11,14:32:12] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

1/07/11 14:30:13 DDSet_Error: Failed to install assembly c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.XML.dll. IAssemblyCache->InstallAssembly() returned -2147024873.

11/07/11 14:30:13 DDSet_Error: Failed to install assembly 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.XML.dll' because of system error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

MSI (s) (40!FC) [14:30:18:578]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 -- There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information.

For the error code “-2147024873” which is 0x80070017, it means “Data error (cyclic redundancy check)”. I recommend you run the Chkdsk.exe tool to check the disk for errors:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.
    4. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk next time that the system restarts.
    5. Close all applications and restart the computer.

Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors and then starts.

Based on your logs, I think some of the system files are corrupt which lead to the Windows Installer package problem. I will list all the possible methods to repair the Windows Installer.

Method 1: Determine whether the Windows Installer engine is functioning

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type cmd in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the command prompt, type MSIExec, and then press Enter.
    3. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages. If you receive an error message, note the error. If you are proficient in how to use search engines, you can use the error message to help locate additional content to troubleshoot the issue.
    4. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 2.

Method 2: Make sure that the Windows Installer service is not set to Disabled

1. Click Start , type services.msc in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open Services.
    2. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
    4. Click OK to close the Properties window.
    5. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
    6. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 3.

Method 3: Check your version of Windows Installer, and upgrade to the latest version if it is needed

Important This method applies to Windows XP, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, to Windows Server 2003 R2, and to Windows Server 2008 only.

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the Command Prompt window, type MSIExec, and then press Enter. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages, and a separate dialog box should open. This shows the MSI version.
    3. If the installer version is not version 4.5, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information and for a link to download Windows installer 4.5:

942288 Windows Installer 4.5 is available

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 4.

Method 4: Reregister the installer engine

Important This method applies to Windows XP and to Windows Server 2000 only.

1. Click Start, click Run then type cmd in the dialog, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

MSIExec /unregister
    MSIExec /regserver

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the issue still occurs after these steps, I recommend:

• Start>>Type “regedit”
    • Check this path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]. If you can find a sub key “Enum” under this path, I recommend you delete this key.

NOTE: Before you delete this key ,please copy your registry. To do so: Right click the key “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]”. Then select “Export”, and save your copy file.

If you did, and considering we've tried the normal procedures for cleaning up, installing a .NET Framework, and fixing the Windows Installer, the next step to consider is repair/reinstallation of the OS itself. Although I'm sure that is not something you're happy to contemplate, compared with that endless searching and try but no avail, it is a quicker and more direct way to resolve some tough problem in fact.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by GrantE1 Monday, November 28, 2011 1:58 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi - I finally got access to the problem computer.  After running chkdsk /f 2 times I was able to reinstall the .net framework 3.5 sp1 and its updates manually.  I was also able to re-install .net framework 1.1.  Evidence suggests we have a physically failing system hard drive and need to replace it.  Given the age of the computer and the absense of our product recover cd, we will be replacing the machine.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:07 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:01 PM