question about azure blockchain RRS feed

• Question

• Recently i'm doing a project about testing the statistic of azure blockchain, and i saw the blockchain team member say the block number is huge even it's the first time creating blockchain. Can i know more about how the block number determined if i don't set the end point? and is it related to the contract size? Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Many changes were done since 2018 therefore let me check back with Azure Blockchain team on your current questions. Can you point us to the the thread posted on 2018?

Regarding the 4000 words I can advance that 4k characters is the limit since 1.4.0 (before was 256).

See: Support for strings up to 4k characters

"One of the limitations in Workbench is the data type strings can only be 256 characters. We’ve received feedback from folks who wanted us to increase the limit. With 1.4.0, the new limit is 4000 characters. Note, using more characters will result in using more gas when processing transactions. When building your smart contracts, please be aware of the block gas limit and build your smart contracts with that limit in mind."

See also: Blockchain Metrics

"Processed Blocks: The number of blocks processed in each time interval. Currently the block size is 5 seconds, hence in a minute each node will process 12 blocks and 60 blocks in 5 minutes."

Thank you for your patience in advance.

Monday, March 23, 2020 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hello and welcome to MSDN!

Can you please confirm that this is the related thread you are referring to?

Block number of the block mined in consortium network

It has an answer, do you still have further questions? Thanks :)

"If you are not bringing your own Blockchain endpoint, Workbench will create one instance of Azure Blockchain Service as the underlying Blockchain consortium resource.  As configured, the Blockchain will generate block at least every 5 seconds even no contract/transaction is deployed."

Friday, March 20, 2020 3:36 PM
  • I am not very good at coding but i want to know that can i put files like pdf to blockchain contract? I saw a post in 2018 said i cant do that in 2018. I tried to put the base64 code of a pdf file to the blockchain using sample of microsoft "Digital Locker", but the blockchain workbench website shown the Field cannot exceed 4000 words. Can i change the type of 
    string public LockerIdentifier;
    in the .sol file to make it more than 4000 words? 

And i use power bi found that my blockchain generate new block every 5 seconds. Can i turn it slower to maybe 5 minutes? Is it generates faster costs me more money? Thanks! 
    Monday, March 23, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Hello,

Many changes were done since 2018 therefore let me check back with Azure Blockchain team on your current questions. Can you point us to the the thread posted on 2018?

Regarding the 4000 words I can advance that 4k characters is the limit since 1.4.0 (before was 256).

See: Support for strings up to 4k characters

"One of the limitations in Workbench is the data type strings can only be 256 characters. We’ve received feedback from folks who wanted us to increase the limit. With 1.4.0, the new limit is 4000 characters. Note, using more characters will result in using more gas when processing transactions. When building your smart contracts, please be aware of the block gas limit and build your smart contracts with that limit in mind."

See also: Blockchain Metrics

"Processed Blocks: The number of blocks processed in each time interval. Currently the block size is 5 seconds, hence in a minute each node will process 12 blocks and 60 blocks in 5 minutes."

Thank you for your patience in advance.

Monday, March 23, 2020 5:01 PM
  • Hello 19namwong,

Can you please share the 2018 post so I have all the necessary info to share with Azure Blockchain Team?

Thank you!

Monday, March 30, 2020 2:24 PM
  • Hi again 19namwong,

Please share the information above so we can proceed with the troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:13 AM
  • Sorry i cant find it back even i checked my browser history...
    I have a question that how large the fill-in data can be in the blockchain workbench? Can i just write so many strings like 100 strings to store the fill-in data?
    Monday, April 6, 2020 10:39 AM
  • Hello 19nam,

I believe yes you can write as mangy strings as needed as long as they don't surpass the limit of 4k characters.

Thank you!

Monday, April 20, 2020 7:34 AM