none
Deploying Word 2007 addin made in VS2010 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have made a simple Addin for Word 2007 in Visual Studio 2010 SP1. I would like to deploy it to all computers and their users in my domain. At first I intended to use WiX to make a MSI installer but that failed after I realized that I need to add a Manifest registry entry, and that such an entry needs to use URI format 

file:///C:/Program Files/ . . . .

and NOT the usual windows address that WiX works with

C:\Program Files\ . . . .

So now I'm stuck, and that is why I'm posting to ask what is the best and preferred way to insure all users get the addin installed. Or maybe somebody knows how to specify I need an URI in WiX.

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To deploy an Office Solution, we usually have 2 ways:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce;

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

According to your description, I recommend you using ClickOnce. “When you deploy a solution by using ClickOnce, you publish it to a central location where users can install and run it. You can update the solution without having to distribute a new setup program to users. This deployment option is simpler, but you can't show users custom setup pages. Also, solutions must be installed multiple times on any computer that has more than one user.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To deploy an Office Solution, we usually have 2 ways:

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce;

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer.

According to your description, I recommend you using ClickOnce. “When you deploy a solution by using ClickOnce, you publish it to a central location where users can install and run it. You can update the solution without having to distribute a new setup program to users. This deployment option is simpler, but you can't show users custom setup pages. Also, solutions must be installed multiple times on any computer that has more than one user.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:02 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

As far as I know ClickOnce would still require for the user to take some actions to install the addin. That is not acceptable to me.

In the mean time I dug deaper and what I found is that I can install addins for all users by adding registry values to HKLM and not HKCU. Also I needed to set EnableLocalMachineVSTO  to 1 in order for Word to actually load the Addins, according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976811.

But the problem now is that VSTO needs to be installed on all machines, and that I'll need to do by hand since there is no single MSI that installs it. I tried to get MSIs from the package, but unfortunately one of the requirments is in MSP format which I can not install via GPO.

So Install VSTO by hand and than install the addin via GPO.

Oh. Also for anyone reading in the future, the manifest address in form of file:///C:\Program Files\ . . . even tohugh it mixes forward and backward slashes is seemingly completely valid.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:25 AM