Help extending query to populate lookup list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this scenario (simplified): Issues, with possible States, and Tasks related to them. Everytime a new Task is created, the lookup list for State should show only the possible reachable States, according to a StateTransitions table, based on the current State.

I'm trying to create a query that serves as Choice for the mentioned New State lookup list.

States contains Id (int), StateName (string).

The StateTransitions contains CurrentState (State) and NextPossibleState (State).

The query contains a parameter for the current state: pCurrentStateId.

How can I do something like this SQL statement using a Lambda expression, to populate the lookup list?

SELECT NextPossibleState
    FROM StateTransitions
    WHERE CurrentState.Id = pCurrentStateId

There might be more than one possible state for the current state.

Preprocess Query arguments are:

StateLookupQuery_PreprocessQuery(int? pCurrentStateId, ref IQueriable<States> query)

Monday, October 7, 2013 4:43 PM

Answers

• I found a way around it, here it is:

//First obtain all the Transitions that have the parameterized state as current

and create a List List<int> allTr = (from tr in StateTransitions

where tr.CurrentState.Id == pCurrentStateId

select tr.NextPossibleState.Id)

.Execute()

.ToList(); //Then extend the query by selecting the ones we put on the list query = from nps in query where allTr.Contains(nps.Id) select nps;

It was inspired in this post.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can take a look at this post, I believe it will provide you with the guidelines on how to do that:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2010/11/15/how-to-use-lookup-tables-with-parameterized-queries-karol-zadora-przylecki.aspx

If that does not work for you, Please send me a screen shot of your schema and your screens, and I'll try to provide you with detailed steps on how to do it.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:15 PM
  • Thank you Amr, unfortunately mine is a more complex scanario. I cannot post screenshots due to privacy restrictions.

Let's say the values for States are: opened, assigned, waitingforapproval, and closed.

The StateTransitions are:

CurrentState         NextPossibleState

open                     assigned

assigned                waitingforapproval

assigned                closed

waitingforapproval  closed

And the pCurrentState is 'assigned'.

The lookup list (with the query as Choice) should contain two possible States: 'waitingforapproval' and 'closed'. Instead, it has 'assigned' and 'closed'.

The expression I use is:

var candidates = from States state in query
                     where state.StateTransitions.All(s => s.CurrentState.Id == pCurrentStateId)
                     select state;

query = candidates;

Also I tried:

query = query.Where(st => st.StateTransitions.Where((tr) => tr.CurrentState.Id == pCurrentStateId).Any());

But didn't work either.

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I'm getting closer getting a cast error. I tried:

var transitions = DataWorkspace.ApplicationData.StateTransitions;

IQueryable<State> candidates=transitions.Where((tr)  =>

tr.CurrentState.Id==pCurrentStatelId).Select(s=>s.NextPossibleState);

query=candidates;

Throws an error on the  .Select(s =>....):
    Cannot implicitly convert type 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.IDataServiceQueryable<LightSwitchApplication.State>' to 'System.Linq.IQueryable<LightSwitchApplication.State>'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?) 

Then, if I cast to IDataServiceQueryable<State> I get the same error in query = candidates;

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:32 PM
  • I kept trying. Keep in mind the expected object type is IQueryable.

So instead I declared 'candidates' as var, then tried: query = candidates.AsQueryable() but again:

Error 1: Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Linq.IQueryable' to 'System.Linq.IQueryable<LightSwitchApplication.State>'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

After that I tried:

query = candidates.AsQueryable().Cast<State>();

there are no errors at design time, but when I run the code I get:

Selecting the source element is the only supported selector.

UPDATE:

I found out that selecting a few fields from an entity is not supported in LightSwitch. It always returns the whole entity. So I'm stuck here.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:37 PM
  • I found a way around it, here it is:

//First obtain all the Transitions that have the parameterized state as current

and create a List List<int> allTr = (from tr in StateTransitions

where tr.CurrentState.Id == pCurrentStateId

select tr.NextPossibleState.Id)

.Execute()

.ToList(); //Then extend the query by selecting the ones we put on the list query = from nps in query where allTr.Contains(nps.Id) select nps;

It was inspired in this post.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:51 PM