BootAnchor

Question

• I setup Windows 8 as a vhd using the powershell script from MSDN.  I got the pretty new Windows 8 bootloader, went into Windows 8 just fine..played around and it crashed. (It looks like the video driver just up and died).  I tried to force a cold reboot, I get to the Windows 8 developer Preview screen, then it goes black..I never get my boot options.

How do I get Windows 7 boot loader back and remove the boot entry for windows 8?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeffery,

Are you able to press F8 during startup and get to the starup screen? If so, from the startup screen click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.  Your system will reboot, and then put you into a command prompt.  From there, you should be able to run BCDboot.exe against the Windows directory of your Windows 7 partition.

Here is a link to information regarding BCDboot.exe and its usage. 

Regards,

Gary

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:38 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Jeffery,

Are you able to press F8 during startup and get to the starup screen? If so, from the startup screen click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.  Your system will reboot, and then put you into a command prompt.  From there, you should be able to run BCDboot.exe against the Windows directory of your Windows 7 partition.

Here is a link to information regarding BCDboot.exe and its usage. 

Regards,

Gary

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:38 PM
    Answerer
  • I could not hit F6 or F8..I was able to boot off the DVD media I burned and get to the troubleshooting menu, from there I could set the default boot to win7 and go from there. It would be good for the preview to not set Win8 as the default choice - just in case.

p.s. I cannot run win8 anymore..I think its working (I can see my HD churning) but the video is out.

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:04 PM