When I click on an application tile, nothing happens. How can I launch the Metro applications?

Answers

• If nothing happens when you click on a Metro UI application tile, first check that your screen resolution is 1024x768 or higher.

This is the minimum screen resolution required to launch applications in the Metro UI.

You can adjust your screen resolution by going to the Control Panel, selecting More Settings, and then selecting Display when the Desktop Control Panel comes up. If your device does not support resolutions of 1024x768 or higher, you can connect the device to an external monitor that is capable of those resolutions.

Michael
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:01 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If nothing happens when you click on a Metro UI application tile, first check that your screen resolution is 1024x768 or higher.

This is the minimum screen resolution required to launch applications in the Metro UI.

You can adjust your screen resolution by going to the Control Panel, selecting More Settings, and then selecting Display when the Desktop Control Panel comes up. If your device does not support resolutions of 1024x768 or higher, you can connect the device to an external monitor that is capable of those resolutions.

Michael
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:01 PM
    Owner
  • You also have to be signed into a live mail account. (at least that's
    what worked on my PC's)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:23 PM
  • My laptop has 1600X900 and a lot of the Metro apps didn't work either.  They open, but that's as far as they go.  Any other suggestions?  I'm dual booting with Windows 7.
    If all is not lost, where is it?
    • Edited by LarryE1946 Monday, September 19, 2011 2:52 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Which ones do not work for you?

So far I can confirm that:

Build

Memories Your life book

Note Space

behave exactly as you described: they open but nothing happen.

Have a nice day

Fritzly

Fritzly
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:25 PM
  • On netbooks with Intel GMAs (most netbooks have them) there is a way to enable larger, compressed resolutions (like 1024x768), so apps will work natively (albeit the screen compression will make the screen a bit jerky): http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=80812

Also if the application starts, but hangs at the splash screen try changing from a Live ID account to a normal one, or from a normal account to a live ID one, or simply create a new account and try the applications with that.

Some people also suggest not to use an Administrator account.
    • Edited by Sztupy Monday, September 19, 2011 4:31 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:20 PM
  • I saw the issue and updating the screen resolution worked for me. I was running on a non touch device laptop in a VirtualBox VM. Basically with low resolution I would keep clicking and nothing would happen. But this not always consistent - I think some of the tiles worked even on low resolution.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I also found that some apps hang on the load screen. I find going back to the metro screen then switching back to them brings them up fine.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:25 AM
  • I have a similar issue.

At first install all is fine however after OS working for some time my Metro apps stop working. Restart does not help.

At first I was thinking it is my drivers but since then I cut to 0 drivers and still after some time Metro apps stop working.

I can click them, lunch screen shows up and then it stays there for some time. Next step green background shows up and from there I got couple of seconds to press start button to go back to Metro UI if I do not it hangs solid.

Funny fact is that weather tab is updating with new weather, so does Twitter, RSS and facebook I just can not lunch the full screen versions.

I have unlinked my account from live ID did not help, linked it again still did not help. Created new user all fine on new user but still no luck on previous one.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:42 AM
  • I encountered the same issue.  We moved this weekend and cable/internet wasn't scheduled to be installed until Monday so I assumed it was because I was disconnected (all worked well up to moving).   This theory was shot out the window a day later when it just started working - I did update my resolution and installed some applications so there is no telling what caused it to start working again...
    MCAD.NET C# - http://www.Global-webnet.com/Blog
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Sometimes I have the same problem. But after restarting the system, it worked again.

As I saw in a process logger, the process starts normally but after a few ticks the process was killed by something. Perhaps an exception in the WinRT runtime or something like this.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:46 AM
  • i'm on a Thinkpad X201, and it doesnt seems to work on mine as well. i'm currently using resolution 1280X800 and i have also tried with two accounts, one local account and the live account, but it doesnt seems to work.
    Nirmal Madhawa Thewarathanthri
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:06 PM
  • i'm on a Thinkpad X201, and it doesnt seems to work on mine as well. i'm currently using resolution 1280X800 and i have also tried with two accounts, one local account and the live account, but it doesnt seems to work.
    Nirmal Madhawa Thewarathanthri

Solution is to convert your account to user. Make sure you have another admin account active!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi , I have the same problem . I have screen res greater than 1024x964 , and none of the metro apps except the control panel is working . I have formatted my C drive and using the 32bit version of OS as my primary OS . Any suggestion from a pro out here .
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:41 PM

Michael

This is one of many issues and hardly the most common answer. Who runs under 1024x768 these days anyway? Please unmark this as the "answer".

I have one of the developer preview tablets and this happens quite often to me too. Sometimes a reboot fixes it. Sometimes I think it's the order in which I start the apps.  (i.e. WinRT has issues with dependencies and initializing things)  Most definitly the apps do not like having no internet connection and having no live account linked with the login.

Edit: One note -- once some of these apps hang your only recourse is to logout/login or reboot before they will work again. The inerns who wrote most of them apparently didn't include either testing for requirements (internet and live account) or adding a retry loop for retesting requirements.

Good luck in finding the reboot option...

• Proposed as answer by Ruscik Friday, September 23, 2011 5:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ruscik Friday, September 23, 2011 5:52 PM
    • Edited by DeathByVisualStudio Friday, September 23, 2011 6:02 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:38 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:38:39 +0000, DeathByVisualStudio wrote:

Who runs?under 1024x768 these days anyway?

No one is saying you must use 1024x768 what is being said is that is the
    minimum resolution required to run Metro apps.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Dreams are free, but you get soaked on the connect time.

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Exactly my w500 runs 1280x800. Only way I can always run metro apps no matter internet on/off or if I am linked to live account is if I use a account on slate with user rights only. Power user or admin breaks UI apps asap of within 10 min for me.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Oh Paul... I never said maximum either. It's a rarity that anyone is running under 1024x768. Netbooks are the only thing I can think of that might and those would not be great candidates for running this preview anyway.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:04 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:04:46 +0000, DeathByVisualStudio wrote:

Oh Paul... I never said maximum either. It's a rarity that anyone is running*under* 1024x768. Netbooks are the only thing I can think of that might and those would not be great candidates for running this preview anyway.

You might want to have a look through the forum to see how many times this
    exact issue has been asked and answered.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:15 PM
  • I stand corrected; lotsa netbooks out there. Sorry.

That said once they get past the screen resolution issue they'll still end up getting pinched by the network, live login, and/or admin account issues. Sounds like your answer should be expanded to include all of the above.

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Besides the resolution requirements, we have found that it seems that an Administrator with a LiveID login can't run Metro Apps.

We created a local account and at first it worked fine, but eventually (after installing SQL, VS2010, Photoshop, etc), it stopped running Metro apps.  To test, we created a login using a LiveID.  Bam, everything worked under the LiveID account.  When we tried to do some systems changes (file sharing, etc), we realized that the new LiveID account needed to be an Adminstrator on the system.

So we went back to the original local account and went into User Accounts and made the LiveID account an Administrator.  After that we logged in as the LiveID account and tested changing system priviledges.  No problem, we could change the system settings from the LiveID account.  But when we went to run Metro apps, none worked!!!  After some trial and error, we decided to remove the Adminstrative priviledges from the LiveID account.  Voila!  We we logged back into the LiveID account all the Metro apps started working again.

It's our guess that Microsoft doesn't want (at least in the Developer Preview version) to have a LiveID linked to an Adminstration account on your local PC.  Maybe their worried if someone hacks into your LiveID, they somehow can gain Adminstrative priviledges on your local PC?

We don't know, but we now logon with our Adminstration account AND the LiveID account.  We develop in one and test in the other.  Just touching the username in the upper right give you a list of users (logged in or not) and we just touch the other account name and after logging in, we are in the other account.  No real difference from fast user switching that has been around for years.  Just faster and lot cooler looking.

• Edited by dnnguru Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:23 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:32 PM
  • The Microsoft people are strangely silent on this issue. Why?
    • Edited by DeathDrive Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:50 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Once again the same problem, I'm running the developer  version under a netbook, the most netbook has a lower screen definition than the required to run the metro style app, but you can still run the settings metro style app so, this is only a register value, there must be a registry change to be made so the ones who use a netbook can run the metro style app.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:24 AM
  • same problem here , so many times i reinstall but after installing some apps , the metro apps stop working except ie , cp , we

so i did a new clean install and start to install my programs one by one and check , what i found is that after installing geovision main system software , metro apps stop working , why ? i don't know but i noticed during installation of geovision , that geovision did some modification to Microsoft .NET framework and installed Microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable.

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I had the same problem and it seemed to have something to do with user access control.  I turned it off and then back on again and the apps started working again.

I should also mention that I was running as a domain account that was made part of the local Administrators group.  I have never tried running as Built-in Administrator.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hello, Did you try from Built-in Administrator or as a Previliged user? Apps fail to start from Built-in Administrator, but if you want to launch you can do that from an Administrator Account (Except for Built-In Admin). Can you try ?. Thanks //Sivarama Krishnan

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hello, Did you try from Built-in Administrator or as a Previliged user? Apps fail to start from Built-in Administrator, but if you want to launch you can do that from an Administrator Account (Except for Built-In Admin). Can you try ?. Thanks //Sivarama Krishnan
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:20 AM
  • In my case I was logged in as a priveldged user (member of the local Administrators group). I believe that my issues were related to one of two things:

1. Conditions that cause the app to fail at startup but fails to provide an error -- just a blank screen in the color of the tile I clicked on.
    2. Network connectivity -- many of the apps rely on either network connectivity in general or perhaps access to Windows Live in order to startup properly. When I was at Build where network connectivity was spotty many of the apps would behave like #1. When I returned home where better network coverage was available these apps less frequently fail to start. PaintPlay and the Piano app still give me trouble once in awhile even when there is good network coverage.

I suspect a lot of these apps need better error handling and some means of informing the user that something bad happened. Silent death may be good for marketing but it's not great for troubleshooting.

More recently I see more issues at startup of the tablet. When it comes out of what I assume is hibernation (I see the Samsung logo for several seconds) instead of the <CTRL<ALT><DEL> to begin message I get a green screen with "Developer Preview" at the bottom. If I press <CTRL<ALT><DEL> I get the usual choice of accounts to login to.

Note that this tabet has been added to a domain which changes the login experience.

Also on occation the start menu does not appear (I get a blank green screen). If I press the start button it does display.

Thanks for looking into these issues.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:25 PM
  • hi

my mini(touch)laptop has 1024x600 as maximum resolution... I need to run metro app in my screen not on external ??

please tell me if there is a solution. like driver or virtual program??...

Friday, September 30, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Will this is what you do and I learn this on my own I had problems getting my netbook on my big screen tv it was two big and I put it on 1024*768 or smaller try that and go to device and go to project and desplay only there you go I hope it work for you send me a message on facebook if it works facebook_fb@aol.com just search for me.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:54 AM
  • I am running W8 on an Acer Iconia Dual-Screen Touchbook which both screens are rated at 1366x768. Most apps fail as found by the people in the posts above. They fail on both of the screens even if I extend from top screen to bottom. But...the metro apps I have created in Visual Studio 2011 preview run on the 1366x768 screen without (AFAIK) problems.

So I believe that this is not a permissions issue, but either due to a limitation in the OS in divining (and reporting to the application) what screen sizes are valid or the respective programs not accurately sizing to the target display upon startup. :-(

As mentioned by the moderator, when I attach a large monitor 1900x1200 and bring the W8 experience on that monitor most apps come up like a charm; but his suggestion that there is a true minimum appears to be a bug in the OS! (IMHO)

(Update) I discuss my experiances here on my blog:

Fear and Loathing in Windows 8 with the Acer ICONIA 6120 Dual-Screen Touchbook

HTH

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)

• Edited by OmegaManMVP Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:47 PM Added link to my blog article!
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:23 PM
  • hi

my mini(touch)laptop has 1024x600 as maximum resolution... I need to run metro app in my screen not on external ??

please tell me if there is a solution. like driver or virtual program??...

Hi lionwin8,

Click run and type "regedit", it will open your registry, the go to find command and type "display1_downscalingsupported" and change its value to 1.

Exit the editor and restart your system. Now if you go the display setting you can set 1024x768 resolution, it works fine for me.

Good luck

by

Chandra

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:44 AM
  • What about windows based pad's? I installed the preview on a windows tablet with a 1024x600 resolution (not uncommon) and also have difficulties with starting most of the metro-apps. Windows 8 seems to me the choice for windows tablets, so why doesn't this work...?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:03 AM
  • If your screen meets or is above the minimum resolution, the problem might be in the other software that you might have installed i.e display drivers, games (especially some games from steam). i had a similar problem until i did a system refresh and re-installed my programs one by one and testing the metro apps after each one and found out that some drivers for my mobo were to blame and my other 2 games. also try to avoid installing your display drivers in win7 compatibility mode and try to use windows update to update your drivers. Just my 2 cents
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:58 AM
  • If your screen meets or is above the minimum resolution, the problem might be in the other software that you might have installed i.e display drivers, games (especially some games from steam). i had a similar problem until i did a system refresh and re-installed my programs one by one and testing the metro apps after each one and found out that some drivers for my mobo were to blame and my other 2 games. also try to avoid installing your display drivers in win7 compatibility mode and try to use windows update to update your drivers. Just my 2 cents
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:01 AM
  • found solution , geovision software also disable UAC , so i reenabled it , and what you know , metro apps is working again.
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Hi Sa3ad,

How did you enable it? Could let me know as well, I am not able to access the apps too..:( Thanks

by

Chandra

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi Sa3ad,

How did you enable it? Could let me know as well, I am not able to access the apps too..:( Thanks

by

Chandra

control panel > user accounts > change User Account Control settings

right section of page fourth option

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:56 PM
  • did a clean install, did not use "As Admin" used Live ID for login.

did get weather to start working again...

open Near ME and allowed to start. & work. be nice If i could set proper instead of where my ISP is located

over 125 miles away.

but nothing I do will allow NEWs to work.

add -> type proper url:   http://www.kake.com/etc  etc  click OK

shows results --> click it turns blue and check mark appears... click done - nothing works..

PS: No firewall- no AV - so nothing to stop it.

PSS: no updates either...

Nothing was listed in Not Compatible when I checked.

any suggestions on how to get News to work.. It use to ..

• Edited by blue boy Monday, November 7, 2011 11:55 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 11:54 PM
  • any suggestions on how to get News to work.. It use to ..

Make it a bigger tile?  

I wouldn't mind if it updated less often.   ; )

add -> type proper url: http://www.kake.com/etc etc click OK

shows results --> click it turns blue and check mark appears... click done - nothing works..

Try clicking on the IE metro app's menu button to choose  Use Desktop view.    You will get better diagnostics for connectivity issues that way.   E.g. you could use IE10's Developer Tools, Network capture  (press F12, etc.).   Press Ctrl-F5  in case it is a caching problem.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:07 AM
  • At first setup the Metro UI tiles hardly responded. That was due to being on a low quality Wireless connection, so the tiles and the functionality behind them seems to rely on an assumption of good internet connectivity. With an app like IE10 I would however like to see the app start with some intelligent message rather than a seeming non-response. Resolution had nothing to do with this, since once network was OK the tiles worked as expected. That Win8 is so network intensive is something to consider when thinking about off-line or off the grid usage. Developers have to make surethe apps provide some minimal functionality even in such cases. Granted this is an alpha Version but the philosophy that incluces dropping the red X'es to Close apps, the simple shutdown function etc forms a pattern that is not exactly promising. Apps need to be closed when AddOns to apps are installed. IE needs to be closed when Flash etch are installed - saying that apps do not need to be closed since they are suspended is not correct when considering 3.rd party AddOns and software.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Found that it was a corrupt install. or a corrupted file . ask another person who was using also and  when I clicked news nothing popuped up,  like he said ... installed from HDD and when now I click News I get several pre installed news places... when I try to add my local news now, and click pin to it works..

also found that when you use some 3d party program which they claim MODIFY setting in 8102, If you use the one that modifies Explorer.exe you will loose the ability for your Metro Tiles to function properly ...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:16 PM
  • The fact that 1024x768 is required comes as a taunting smack across the face to me, so-to-speak.  The highest my computer can go is 1024x600.  You'd think that maybe the computer would be kind and say something like, "Ah what the heck, it's close enough, you can use it."  It's too bad computers don't think that way.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 7:50 PM
  • The highest my computer can go is 1024x600.

Does it have a projector port and do you have a second monitor? If so see the last sentence of the above post marked Answer...

<quote>

If your device does not support resolutions of 1024x768 or higher, you can connect the device to an external monitor that is capable of those resolutions.
    </quote>

Heh. That may be easier said than done...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Cannot-get-mDP-to-DL-DVI-working-on-Envy-14-to-use-a-30-inch/td-p/296289

(BING search for
    "projector port" notebook site:hp.com
    )

What are your details?

HTH

Robert
    ---

Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:00 AM
  • I living in Brazil and I am using the Windows 8 in a netbook HP Mini. I dont know if my hardware is poor for the Windows 8, but anything is working properly, less the tiles. I think the problem occur because the services is not available in my country. So I have no tried logging in these services. I use my email LiveID to enter the system.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hey Elesbao,

You should be able to open Metro style applications as long as you have a desktop resolution that meets or is larger than 1024 by 768 and if User Account Control hasn't been disabled. Note: Both numbers must be equal to or larger than the 1024 by 768 resolution for Metro style applications to work.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:58 AM
  • They are waiting for enough input to evaluate. Remember, this is an entirely new OS and they can not establish accuracy and performance there at Microsoft, as we are more versatile with experimentation.
    John Haskins
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:23 PM
  • ok its not so much about resolution its more your hardware i am running windows 7 on intel 1.66 ghz 2 gb ram 160gb hard drive partitioned into 5 and inbuilt graphics so the graphics card usually does the trick im saving up for a new desktop next year k
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:48 AM
  • cool em try 1366 x768 that will work now whos hungry lol
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Change the resolution settings worked properly. Now my applications tiles is working... nice!

Windows 8 is very cool!

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:10 PM
  • I had the same problem, but when I enter as administrator. Changing user, they work! DOn't ask me the why ...
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:49 PM