none
About create a VM (windows 7) RRS feed

• Question

• I just download a VHD (windows 7) from microsoft web site and created a image on azure.

When I was creating a new VM, I stucked at "creating".

Anyone know how to create a old version windows 7 on azure?

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:19 PM

All replies

• Are you creating the VM using Azure PowerShell or Azure portal? 
    Can you please check 'Activity logs' for more details on the VM creation status. The Activity Log is a subscription-level log which provides insight into the operations that were performed on resources in your subscription using Resource Manager, for example, creating a virtual machine. The Activity Log is a subscription-level log.

Also, if you can provide details on how you created the image, it will help troubleshoot the issue.
    To create an Azure image, you should sysprep the VM\VHD. You might need to download the VHD and create a VM in Hyper-V to be able to see the screens in the initial startup of the VM. Complete setup in Hyper-V, then you need to run sysprep again and make sure you choose "System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)", make sure that the "Generalize" check box is selected and use "Shutdown" for the Shutdown Options. After the VM\VHD is sysprep'd, Don’t restart it. Upload it back to Azure and create an image from it and then use the image to create a new VM.

Please refer to this doc on steps to sysprep/generalize an image before creating a VM from it.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Is there any update?

Karishma Tiwari - MSFT

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Any update on this thread?

If a answer was useful, please remember to upvote and "Mark as answer" so others in the community can easily find it. 

Friday, May 31, 2019 6:59 PM