Can Visual Studio 2017 (or later) convert java applets to C#? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1422203677 posted

I have a java applet that I wish to convert to C#.   I found a link on MSDN that says Visual Studio should be able to do that: see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dotnet/articles/ms973842(v=msdn.10)   However, When I download their patch, it installed framework 3.5, and then said the program it was supposed to patch didn't exist on my PC (I have visual studio 2017).   Is there a way to still do this?

Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:19 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

Gaston Leblanc

Can Visual Studio 2017 (or later) convert java applets to C#?

Not that I know of...  A Java Applet runs in a VM on the client.  AFAIK, there's no .NET (or C#) equivalent.   

IMHO, a Java Applet to JavaScript converter is more appropriate.  There's WebAssemby (Blazor in .NET) which is similar in concept but very different all the same.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:10 PM
  • User409696431 posted

The article you linked to is dated 2005.  Understandably, it would not apply to VS 2017.  Also, if you read the details of conversion, it is not automatic or complete ("conversion assistant"), and assumes you know enough to rewrite what is not handled with the conversion.

I suppose you could revert to an older version of VS and older framework and see if the conversion tool helps you, although I have no idea where you would find the conversion tool now since the links to it from the page you posted are no longer valid.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 11:29 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Gaston Leblanc

Can Visual Studio 2017 (or later) convert java applets to C#?

Not that I know of...  A Java Applet runs in a VM on the client.  AFAIK, there's no .NET (or C#) equivalent.   

IMHO, a Java Applet to JavaScript converter is more appropriate.  There's WebAssemby (Blazor in .NET) which is similar in concept but very different all the same.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:10 PM
  • User409696431 posted

The article you linked to is dated 2005.  Understandably, it would not apply to VS 2017.  Also, if you read the details of conversion, it is not automatic or complete ("conversion assistant"), and assumes you know enough to rewrite what is not handled with the conversion.

I suppose you could revert to an older version of VS and older framework and see if the conversion tool helps you, although I have no idea where you would find the conversion tool now since the links to it from the page you posted are no longer valid.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 11:29 PM