Login Screen with Windows Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

This may be a long shot, but I was wondering if there is any way to make a user have to re-enter their Windows credentials before they are logged into a web-based LightSwitch application while using Windows Authentication.  I noticed that while using Forms Authentication, you will get a login screen, but each user would have to be added to a table in the intrinsic database for that to happen.  I would like for this app to have an extra layer of security, but my users would not want to have other login credentials aside from Windows.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Ray

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ray,

When you use Internet explorer, there is an option to disable automatic login when using windows auth. Go to options -advanced:

By doing so, you users will be re-prompted to enter there windows credentials.

This is indeed, kind of extra security measure for your app, but of course users can change this option back in IE, unless you have a sophisticated group policy preventing this, but that's not my cup of tea.

Don't want to go in philosophy mode, but I'm not sure there is security added-value here. You compare windows auth with forms auth and indeed, with forms auth credentials are asked, but that's because the app is also taking responsibility for the "identity" part of the app security. When an app uses windows auth, the "identity" part is delegated to the Operating system. Not that there is a security problem with forms auth, but I can assure you that windows auth is much more sophisticated.

What exactly do you want to achieve?

paul van bladel

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:23 PM
  • See if anything mentioned in Can I force a Windows Authentication / Login? gives you something to work with.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:16 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:19 AM