Deployoing infopath template to content type with inheritance RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few questions with close relation to each other...

1. In Sharepoint 2007 - if I have a document library with a single content type (Infopath template) and enable multiple content types - can I create new content types that inherit from the content type I started out with or do I have to create a new content type that's a copy of the old one?

2. I Sharepoint I have a contenttype with some calculated fields (because calculated fields are included in the version history of list elements). I now want to publish Infopath templates to different content types (to be able to explicitly control the different template versions that are used in the library) - however I want to publish to content types that all inherit from a content type that has those calculated fields (because the calculated fields only exist in Sharepoint and I don't want to add new ones every time I publish a new Info template), however:

2a. Will the calculated fields (which are simply copying fields from the Infopath template) always be able to "hook up" to the new published Infopath tamplate?

2b. Is it generally a viable solution to publish Infopath templates to existing content types with inheritance?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,

Qiao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Answer 1: Yes you can create new content types that inherit from a content type.

You could follow these steps;

1. Create an InfoPath form and publish it as a site content type (Content_type1).
    2. Create a new content type (Content_type2) which inherits from Content_type1. This can be done from Site Content types.
    3. Add Content_type2 to a document library.

Answer 2a: The calculated fields will hook up to every item that we create in the list however will not be present in the form as they aren't defined there.

Answer 2b: Depends on the requirement. If we want to get additional information from users which remains the same across libraries/content types then we can use inheritance to our advantage.  However as this information cannot be added within the form, users will have to go through a series of steps before saving the item and checking it in.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:13 PM