none
Raspberry Pi 3 booting to EFI screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've just ran into a continuous problem on the raspberry pi 3 that when the system is shutdown or restarted via the default application or any of my own UWP applications just after first startup the system when it restarts 'boots' to the EFI page.

Things I've checked:

• Replaced the Pi - I have 3 Pi 3's and all of them do the same thing
    • Image is loading on with the IoT core image helper with build 14332 - I've downloaded it again and re installed to double check it wasn't corrupted
    • Changed SD cards - The one this picture was taken on is a Samsung 64gb Evo (I've been using these since installing windows 8 on the minowboard max and I believe they are on the recommended list) of which I've tried a spare of the same type as well as on a couple of Kingston 16GB class 10 memorycards.
    • Mouse and keyboards ive switched around from using dell to generic Microsoft keyboards to trying it with no mouse and no keyboard and rebooting online and it makes no difference.
    • Swapped power supplies (using the official RPi charger 5.1v 2A power supply)

One interesting point of note is that if I have it plugged into a TV via HDMI the screen just remains black so I cant reproduce the fault but if I plug it into a dell monitor with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter I can! Thinking back I've had a number of issues with RPi's being plugged into TV's and not booting and just going to black screens on previous builds.

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

This probably means the SD Card is just not seated properly and therefore is not being recognized as bootable. Unlike the Pi2 that has a click in and out feel, the Pi3 just slides in so likely you just need to push the card in a touch more.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 29, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the reply I've double checked it is seated fine. Do you know if it could be due to restarting the device just after its been configured and thus its corrupting the image? i.e. the system is shutdown to soon ofter initial configuration?

Kind regards

George Stephens

Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:50 PM
  • that could be one reason, another your sd card is corrupt or slow

some users reported they have less issues if they format the sd card first

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-all-else-is-working?forum=WindowsIoT
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi George

Sorry to hijack your thread, but could You tell me how You restart/shutdown the Raspberry from your UWP app?

I have been searching for weeks to find a working method.

Best regards Jens

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:40 AM
  • @Jens next time i recommend to use the search function on top of the page, the first search display for example this result https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/42d4ccee-304e-4c29-9536-aec82af5a4e9/shutdown-or-restart-through-app?forum=WindowsIoT
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Hi George

When you start the Pi 3 up, does the onboard green LED come on briefly (right next to the red LED near the micro USB port)? I think that this green LED should come on briefly if the Pi 3 finds something on the microSD card that it can boot from.

Also, is your microSD card formatted as FAT32 or exFAT? (I think it should be formatted as FAT32, I've read the Pi 3 needs it to be this). Unfortunately I've not been able to get a 64GB card to work, I've tried a couple of manufacturers.

One other thing to try with a 16GB card would be loading NOOBS Lite, and trying to boot off that?

Let us know how it goes,

Jeremy

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:33 PM
  • I have a Raspberry Pi 3. I tried with builds 14322 and 14328 and in both cases I have the same result. The first boot just after installing Windows IoT in the micro SD flashdrive using the Windows IoT Core Dashboard it boots ok, but after first reboot (i.e. when change the device name) I only get a command prompt menu with 3 options:
    1. Default EFI Boot Applicaiton
    2. Shell
    3. Boot Manager

Keyboard doesn't work in this screen so I cannot choose any option.

Is there something I can manually modify in the Windows IoT installation in the SD card? Any idea?

Raspberry Pi 3 boot menu
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:22 AM
  • I've been battling the EXACT same thing for almost a week since trying 14328 on my Pi 2.  I've gone back to 14322, reformatted the SD card and still ALWAYS the same result after first reboot!!!  We need a fix Microsoft!  What is going on?
    Monday, May 16, 2016 10:38 AM
  • I don't know about the OP but I've tried most all of this already.  I believe I was running fine on 14322 and the problem happened when I attempted 14328.  Since then I've seated and reseated, formatted the card and installed 14322 and 14328 several times.  Always the same problem.  Boots perfectly the first time.  Dies on the first reboot.  I also tried letting it still for well over 5 minutes before rebooted after first power-up.  Same results.  EFI screen with no keyboard control.

My microSD card is the same one I've been using all along with Win Iot and no problems.  I'm always able to read the card on my Surface Pro 4.  Also no problems using the SD Formatter tool.

This is obviously a problem.  Anyone at Microsoft care to chime in?

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi CRogers3,

I'll happily chime in as we have hit this menu at Microsoft. The boot menu you are seeing literally means the Pi3 is not recognizing either:

1. The card is not seated properly (Note there are quite a few complaints regarding the SD card holder on the Pi3)

2. The card itself is not appearing as bootable media (SDFormatter seems to fix this - there is a know issue with the Windows Format utility that is being addressed but I have no timeline for a distributed fix)

When you say "Dies on the first reboot" can you be more specific? When it boots perfectly the first time, how long do you wait for reboot? Note that we have a known issue with respect to pre-release 14322 not updating correctly but if you are provisioning 14328 directly to the card then this is a different issue.

Would you consider filling out the template below so that we might discover what is unique about your repro?

ENVIRONMENT:

What Computers, OS and devices are involved with this repro? How are they connected?

REPRO STEPS:

What steps would someone else need to follow to see the issue?

RESULTS:

What did you Expect to happen?

What did Actually happen?

NOTES:

Any other details/workarounds potentially related info

If you  could fill out the template with as much detail as possible, it might give helpful folks a better starting point

Sincerest thanks,

IoTGirl

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I will fill as well the template since I am having the same issue:

ENVIRONMENT:

I am doing all the work on a Windows 10 Pro x64 using Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard 1.0.1605.10000

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2 with a micro SD card EVO 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1

I am using Windows 10 IoT Core Inside Preview Build 14328 for the Raspberry

SDFormatter 4.0 from sdcard.org

REPRO STEPS:

- Installed Windows 10 IoT Insider Preview 14328 from the iso

- Formatted SD card using SDFormatter and check Formatt Size Adjustement

- In Windows 10 IoT Dashboard I choose Custom in Device type in 'Setup a new Device' tab and click Insall

- When finished put the SD card into the Raspberry

- Plug power adapter (Output DC5V - 2A)) to the Raspberry Pi, red led in the motherboatd lights on, green led start blinking

- Windows IoT boot screens appears and after a couple of minutes or less I get into the main screen that shows my IP, device name, etc.

- I shutdown/reboot the raspberry (waited long time before doing it)

- Raspberry shows the EFI screen

RESULTS:

I expect to boot Windows IoT again

Only manage to get into Windows just after inslling it in the SD card (the first boot), never boot Windows in the following boots, need to re-install Windows in the SD card again to get into windows again.

NOTES:

I ahve tried to create smaller partition in the SD card, since I have read in some threads bigger SD cards may cause problems but got the same result. This shouldn't be the problem since the firs time I install Windows IoT Core in the 128G SD card it works well.

I hope this info will help :)

• Edited by hectortosa Monday, May 16, 2016 6:39 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 6:38 PM
  • Hi Hector,

What is the build number of your developer machine? (I am doing all the work on a Windows 10 Pro x64 )

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Running winver I got:

Windows 10 Version 1511 OS Build 10586.104

Héctor.

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:08 PM
  • To answer your questions:

1. I am NOT using a Pi3.  I am using a Pi2 and have seated, reseated, and seated again the card.  This cannot be the problem

2. The card boots the Pi every time I install a new build on it.  I can install 14322 or 14328 and BOTH boot the first time.  If I dare "REBOOT" it fails every time.  So steps are manually load new pre-release build onto SD card.  Insert card into Pi2 and boot up.  Works!  The next reboot will bring you to the EFI screen.  Every time.  I have also tried reformatting the card first using SDFormatter tool.  I've never used Windows 10 to format while encountering this problem.

I cannot be any more specific when I say "Dies on the first reboot".  After installing either build number it successfully boots up the first time but if I reboot right away or even if I wait 20 minutes, it dies on the first reboot.

ENVIRONMENT:

Using a Surface Pro 4 with all latest updates on 1511 build.  Am not using any pre-release Windows 10 Pro builds on this machine.  Windows 10 1511 is the factory installation.  I am connected to the Pi2 thru my WiFi network at home.  Both the SP4 and the Pi2 are connected via WiFi.  The Pi2 is using an officially supported WiFi dongle purchased thru Adafruit Item #2810.

REPRO STEPS:

1. Download 14322 or 14328 Insiders build for IoT.
    2. Mount ISO in Windows 10 1511 on up to date SP4.
    3. Run included *.msi file
    4. Use IoT Dashboard to manually install a "Custom" device type by browsing to the Flash.ffu file
    5. edit config.txt file to include LCD_rotate=2 because I'm hooked up to the Official RPi 7" touchscreen.  I believe I've tried it without first editing this and still failed after first reboot).
    6. Properly seat SD card in Pi2 and plug in power
    7. Pi2 boots.
    8. Reboot the Pi using the touchscreen or via the Device Portal and it always goes to the EFI screen and wireless keyboard is not working.

RESULTS:

I expect to reboot and come back to the default app so that I can work with programing Win 10 IoT.  Instead, the first reboot results in EFI screen with no apparent keyboard being recognized.

NOTES:

This seems to have started the first time I tried 14328 and continues to happen if I go back to 14322 or 14328 no matter if I use SDFormatter or not.  I think tonight I will go back to an older build if I can find one just to see if I can get Windows IoT to work properly until this other problem is solved.

Thanks for the response IoTGirl and I look forward to any other info or suggestions.

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Hi CRogers,

Can you try the boot and reboot of 14328 with nothing but the screen and maybe a mouse connected?  I am wondering if this might be related to something like a driver writing to the SD while you reset.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Will do. With Touchscreen I can probably boot it with nothing else attached.  So do you want WiFi unplugged as well?
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Yes. Process of elimination to find what is causing the corruption.  We are not seeing it here so we need to identify what might be corrupting the card.  Any detail may help!
    Monday, May 16, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Could it be that this build is messing somehow with the card's MBR on the first boot so is not able to boot again? I will try to install build 14322 on a card in which build 14328 never was installed or fully format the one I am using.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:53 AM
  • I ahve tried to create smaller partition in the SD card, since I have read in some threads bigger SD cards may cause problems but got the same result. This shouldn't be the problem since the firs time I install Windows IoT Core in the 128G SD card it works well.

I'm glad to see that its not only me, I can confirm from my findings that I don't believe its the SD card or size of the SD card as I've had this problem with multiple different cards (16gb - 64gb) though it might be related to formatting as I've only used disk part
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi George & Hector,

Have you both also tried the elimination steps like I have asked CRogers to try?  Are you able to identify what bit of software might be corrupting the card?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

My setup is quite simple, just a Raspberry Pi 3 connected to the local network using an ethernet cable and a tv or monitor using the HDMI. I tried with and without keyboard and/or mouse connected, same result always.

Héctor.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:18 PM
  • Hi Hector,

Is there anything else unique about your Pi3 board? Is it manufactured by RS perhaps? That board seems to behave differently and we know we have an issue with the Wifi driver on that board.  Unfortunately we don't have a public fix as yet (14342 is confirmed for RS boards but it has not gotten through the pre-release process yet) See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70c2b5ab-9e49-4ec2-961f-c196e85ef5a8/raspberry-pi-3-and-14322-iotuapoobe-stuck-on-welcome-pi3-wifi-issue?forum=WindowsIoT.

I am actually pretty stumped by CRogers repro as I do also have a RPi2 board and do not see this issue.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Yes, my RPi 3 is from RS Components and Allied Electronics. So my problem should be fixed when 14342 is out? That's good news :)

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Yes! That RS RPi3 board really does not work at all with the builds that try and load Wifi (that is both 14322 & 14328).  We are not sure why as the SOC should be the same as Element 14. (Sidenote: My RPi2 is from RS and it has no issues at this point)
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Hi CRogers,

Can you try the boot and reboot of 14328 with nothing but the screen and maybe a mouse connected?  I am wondering if this might be related to something like a driver writing to the SD while you reset.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

I did as you said with the addition of using the SDFormatter tool to do a full wipe of the card with resize option on before doing the test

1. Mounted 14328 iso in Win 10
    2. installed MSI
    3. Used Dashboard to install custom image pointing to new Flash file
    4. Ejected SD card and inserted into Pi 2
    5. Booted with nothing at all plugged in except the 7" touchscreen
    6. Let Win IoT run for 10 minutes without doing or touching anything
    7. Used touchscreen to reboot and it failed to EFIscreen again.

As another test:

1. I uninstalled the 14328
    2. Stuck the same SD card in WITHOUT doing any formatting at all
    3. Mounted 14295 iso
    4. installed MSI
    5. Used Dashboard to install 14295 to SD
    6. Edited Config.txt file to add LCD_rotate=2
    7. Plugged wifi and keyboard USB dongles in
    8. Booted Pi 2
    9. Configured lang and WiFi
    10. Immediately rebooted and it works perfectly as it should 

• Edited by CRogers3 Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:16 PM
  • @CRogers3 is it possible to test without the touchscreen but with hdmi monitor usb keyboard and usb mouse instead?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:31 PM
  • About my Raspberry Pi 3:

I just tested with the new build, 14342 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot), and the problem still happens.

I did the same process:

• Download 14342 iso
    • Install msi
    • Format SD card with SDFormatter with 'Format size adjustement' on
    • Install into SD card using Windows IoT Core Dashboard
    • Plug into Pi 3 (HDMI monitor, USB keyboard, USB mouse and ethernet cable)
    • Runs fine the first time
    • Restart
    • EFI screen
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:54 PM
  • I was able to test on another Pi 2 on a regular HDTV via HDMI. I still had to use my Microsoft USB wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo but I don't believe there is any difference to the Pi when it looks at this USB device or a standalone USB Keyboard or Mouse.

Same results!  EFI after second boot.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:10 PM
  • strange, whatever i do with my pi 2 i am not able to see the EFI screen, even if i boot my pi without a sd card, no efi only black screen

@CRogers3 where have you purchased your boards? are both still Model B V1.1 ?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:25 PM
  • I believe they were both purchased thru MCM Electronics but I can confirm if really important.  The main one that I'm working on that is connected to the Official 7" touchscreen is a model B V1.1
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:28 PM
  • About my Raspberry Pi 3:

I just tested with the new build, 14342 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsiot), and the problem still happens.

I just tried this new build as well on my Pi 2 and same problem.

One strange thing I noticed, was it appeared to spontaneously reboot about three times where screen went gray then back to picture of floating, red Pi then back to home screen.  This made me hopeful that it could survive a reboot but it failed as soon as I manually initiated one.

• Edited by CRogers3 Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:47 PM
  • I have this exact same issue. First boot works fine, once I try a reboot I'm dumped into this EFI page where the keyboard no longer works. I tried rebooting with both a reboot commanded from the UI and a hard power cycle. (Not touching or moving the SD card while doing this).

I also noticed my WiFi does not work during that first boot. (Looking at some other forum posts I guess this may be expected and might be resolved with the second boot).

I picked my RPi3 from a Frys so I'm not positive which version I have. It came in the Element14 box.

I'm using SanDisk Class 10 Micro SDXC card. 

I had the same issue with both of the two pre-release builds that were available last night.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:46 PM
  • I also noticed my WiFi does not work during that first boot. (Looking at some other forum posts I guess this may be expected and might be resolved with the second boot).

Yes I forgot to mention I noticed this too!  When I pull the WiFi dongle out and back in on that first boot, it will eventually let me scan and find my local network.  Even after I join, it still fails on the first reboot.

I noticed that going back to 14295, the WiFi is detected properly and setting it up becomes part of the initial boot process. I also noticed something much more interesting which I will put in a separate post below. 

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:11 AM
  • So as I mentioned above, I decided to go back to 14295 as it is the last known good build that I can boot and code against on my Pi 2.  After initially booting and successfully rebooting, I went to Windows Update and asked for updates.  After loading them it went into the super long reboot with the update gear animation.  Upon successfully installing updates and rebooting, I noticed that I now have 14328 installed and running PERFECTLY!

What gives?!  Seems to be a major clue to me.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:18 AM
  • Any way I can download build 14295?
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Maybe these links will work? https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4c9ee153-b2d2-4eed-83f3-ebdd27dfade2/failed-to-unpack-installer?forum=WindowsIoT

The resolution is from April and they are Forward links so I am not sure if they are updated as well. They might just always point to the latest.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Link works but the build does not work with Pi 3. It doesn't boot in the first run, only can see this screen (neither the green light on the motherboard blinks):

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:01 AM
  • that can't work if the image you have downloaded is 10586 as this was released before pi 3

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hi there,

I got partially the same issue – Raspberry Pi 3 (Element 14, V 1.2) with Insider Preview Build 14342 and a Samsung 64 GB Evo : first boot is successful, but the second boot fails and I end up in the EFI boot screen.

I also tried the “hard reboot” in order to tear down the cause to the “shutdown process” – after the successful first boot, I just plugged out the power adapter … and the result is the same : I also end up in the EFI boot screen, which (from a logical perspective) puts the “bug hunting focus” on the “startup & initialization phase” of the first boot of Windows 10 IoT Core and its “SD Card operation”.

Then I tried a Samsung 32 GB Evo (which is listed as a supported ones) and that I used for quite a long time successfully with a Raspberry Pi 2 on Windows 10 IoT Core (official released version) … and the result is different : it works without issues !

I tried this without Ethernet plugged in on the first & second boot.

Afterwards plugging the Ethernet Cable in, let 2 things happen : (1) the R-Pi 3 was connected to the LAN and got a valid IPv4 Address and (2) the WLAN shows up with “local / device static IP” which was 192.168.137.1.

The next boot cycle with “Ethernet still plugged in” also worked out fine.

Finally I did a full shutdown, plugged off the Ethernet cable and booted – this was also successful and afterwards I could also join the WLAN without problems.

So in the end: the right (and only 32GB sized) SD-Card did the trick!

One last thing to mention: the first boot process with the 32GB is even visual different – one sees a “screen blink” and the “splash screen” with the small round and centered image with an IoT board appears for a small amount of time, and after that the blue configuration screen for the language appears.

The first boot process with the 64GB SD-card (that fails on second boot) DOES NOT have this “visual glitch” and splash screen pop up, and the blue configuration screen for the language appears immediately.

Hope this helps … especially hunting the bug ;-).

Cheers gebco

Friday, May 20, 2016 10:14 PM
  • Hi there,

also interessting : I flashed the Samsung 64 GB SD-card (which failed with R-Pi 3 & insider build 14342 on second boot) with the offical Windows 10 IoT Core release for the Raspberry Pi 2 (via Dashboard) ... and it works fine, also on second boot via an restart ... also if I shutdown the R-Pi 2 (power off) and restart it.

cheers gebco

Friday, May 20, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Thanks for further input.  Hopefully Microsoft is still paying attention here (IoTGirl?) and is looking harder into this obvious problem.

My Pi2 works just fine going back to earlier builds as well while still using all the same hardware that fails on the 14322 build and later.  What is still mystifying is the fact that if I Windows Update to 14328 vs. install from ISO to 14328, it works FINE.  Same SD card, Wifi, Keyboard and screen.  The problem is with the build or ISO somehow vs the hardware since it is able to run after a Windows Update.

This is all in my humble opinion of course, but would be glad for MS to locate the real problem, issue a fix and prove me wrong...

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:54 PM
  • The recommended Samsung Evo microSD cards do work across reboots, but I was able to get a different microSD card to work using NOOBS instead of installing from the IoT Dashboard. In that NOOBS configuration, you see a Raspberry logo on every boot with an option to press Shift to get into recovery mode.

It's unfortunate that the OS is that sensitive to microSD cards, but the lesson is to stock up ahead of time or to order the card and the device simultaneously.

Getting to this point just trying to use microSD cards laying around was maddening.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I have no new information on this boot issue but I wanted you to know that we are looking at it and do have quite the frustrating variety of SD cards around here as well. :)

I have a Samsung Evo card but I mostly have Transcend Micro 16 GB cards.  The biggest difference is the write speed so my thought is that the Evo completes the pending writes before power is lost and the slower cards do not but I have not been able to confirm or deny that assertion.

Sincerely,

IoTgirl

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I have a Samsung Evo 64G which has this issue (no boot after restart) and Samsung Evo 32G (which works well), and both has the same write speed so it could be something else.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hello IoTGirl,

I have the same issue on a Rasberry Pi 3 Model B (Element 14). Boots perfectly the first time and EFI Boot screen with no keyboard after first reboot. If I reflash the MicroSD card again, it works for first boot but second boot stops working again.

The MicroSD card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 64gb.

Any resolution yet?

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Hi Folks,

I believe the latest build is 14342.  Is it also exhibiting the same boot behavior? Both Pi2 & Pi3?

Sincere thanks for the feedback and updated information!

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Hi Folks,

I believe the latest build is 14342.  Is it also exhibiting the same boot behavior? Both Pi2 & Pi3?

IoTGirl

Yes, see Hectorosa's reply from 5/18
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Hi Folks,

IoTGirl

Yes IoTGirl, 14342 is the Preview Image used-

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Hi Folks,

It looks like we are seeing what Hector is seeing. 32GB works but 64GB fails. Does anyone have an SD card that is 32GB or less that is failing?  The suspicion now is that the issue is only currently seen with 64GB cards. Is anyone having this issue with 32GB or smaller? My cards are all 16 & 32GB so that might be part of why I am not seeing this with my RS RPi2.

Also, secondarily, what is the power level of the power supply being used in each case?

Sincere thanks!

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hi Folks,

It looks like we are seeing what Hector is seeing. 32GB works but 64GB fails. Does anyone have an SD card that is 32GB or less that is failing?  The suspicion now is that the issue is only currently seen with 64GB cards. Is anyone having this issue with 32GB or smaller? My cards are all 16 & 32GB so that might be part of why I am not seeing this with my RS RPi2.

Also, secondarily, what is the power level of the power supply being used in each case?

Sincere thanks!

IoTGirl

IoTGirl, I was able to flash an 8GB SanDisk MicroSD with the same 14342 image on a Rasberry Pi 3 Model B(element 14) and I was able to boot a second time!

So far your theory is supported! 64GB cards work for the first boot, but get corrupted somehow post the first boot of 14342. 8GB card seems to continue working post first shutdown.

Thank you!

Mark

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:55 PM
  • My SD Card, as mentioned above where I was able to recreate the issue, is also a 64GB MicroSD. I ordered a few 32GB ones which I will try, however these are the ones on the "approved" list so I presume they will work.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:22 AM
  • Thanks everyone! This issue has been assigned to a member of the IoTTeam to debug. UPDATE: This issue is specific to Raspberry Pi and is now known. When the device reboots the "Free" area is too large for FAT/FAT32 so it is now exFAT and RPi does not recognize exFAT. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:01 PM
  • IOTGirl,

Have there been any updates to this issue. I'm just getting into IoT and solely onto Windows 10 IoT core. This issue has been driving me nuts. Boot it up the first time and everything works. Second boot I get seven light blinks repeated as others have reported. Using Raspberry Pi 3 with Samsung 32GB ProSelect card ordered from Amazon. A reflash of the card with Windows IoT core and I can repeat the entire process all over again.

Thanks

Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

This issue, cards greater than 32, was fixed quite a while ago.  My suspicion is you are not letting first boot compete and are pulling power before the OS has laid down the new disk layout leaving the card in an unbootable state.

Please leave the device booted and powered and it will reboot on its own when first boot has completed.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Monday, July 17, 2017 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

I had similar problems, and the source of the problems was the power supply that was not powerful enough.

I read somewhere that the power supplier must supply at least 2.5A, and that is more necessary if you have USB devices connected to it.

Regards,

Pedro

Saturday, July 22, 2017 1:48 PM