none
Portable .Net Framework / bundle private framework RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have see many people ask about "Can run C# application without installing .Net Framework", and I'm not asking this kind of question here.

My question (or maybe idea) is:
    WHY Microsoft not going to release portable version of .Net Framework.

Many people tell me that is was not possible but I am not understand why cannot.
    Like JRE (Java runtime Environment) we can just copy all the JRE folder and put together with our application, then call Java.exe to run our application.
    I guess .Net also should possible to do this.

First, this will make deployment/distribute our application much more easy.
    it was nonsense to include 150MB runtime(.Net framework 3.5) with application which only 20MB.

Second, we no need care about the client pc having which version of .Net Framework installed,
    compatibility issue not going to happen, and we not required to force our client to install (downgrade, upgrade) the framework,
    because our application bundle its own Framework.

"Portable Framework" should small, this will make it to be less functionality, just like "Silverlight" it only about 2MB,
    sure that was very few functionality which can use it our application.
    But "Portable Framework" no need to consider about how much "functions" it can provide, but who want to use the "Portable Framework" should think about it.

.Net Framework 2.0 is small enough (22MB) and provide enough "functions" for most application/game.
    If the "Portable Framework" are base on it, is great enough :)

maybe "Portable Framework 3.5" for more functionality (larger size) :P

Friday, August 29, 2008 11:11 AM

All replies

• Really, this is big problem for me. As an example - I`d like to use this f@cking LINQ in by univercity project - just for fun, but at univercity I don`t have .net 3 :\
    Another one example - I`d like to use latest swing feachersm that appeared only in Java 6, but at univercity I has only Java5 - no problems - I take Java6 on usb stick from home - and great! I can run my application!
    Monday, November 17, 2008 10:38 AM
  • This version of nLite includes .Net Framework 2.0, but I am not sure that it runs it "portably" or just installs it before running nLite. I don't have a machine I can test it on, but we are all looking for the same thing. I'd love a single package that included 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 all in portable versions. http://www.freshwap.net/forums/applications/17629-portable-nlite-1-4-9-net-framework-integrated.html

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:06 PM