"Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported...." RRS feed

• Question

• All of my 3rd party webparts, on my sites show
    Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported. The type could not be found or it is not registered as safe where the webpart is supposed to be.  This was working fine up until this morning.  I did not change any files.  I didn't delete anything.  I'm not sure what happened.  Running WSS 3.0 on Server 2008.  Like I said, it was working fine up until I think this morning.  How do I get them back?  Most of the responses on this site were for people who built there own webparts.  Mine are 3rd party purchased webparts that show up in the gallery but just give that error.
    Thanks
    -Ken
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:38 PM Error message cut down. Original Title far too long. ... included within the quotes to indicate longer error message
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hey Ken,

Is it possible someone has reset or modified your web.config file(s)?  If so then the web parts are probably not be configured as safe controls anymore. 

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:42 PM
  • I doubt it only because I'm the only person who has accessed the server directly.  Is there a best practice for putting them back into the web.config file?  I"ll have to see if I have backup of that file.

Thanks for your response.

-Ken

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Hey Ken,

Here is the procedure I follow: I test the changes on a virtual or non-production server first, and then save the new configuration code to a seperate notepad file.  When I'm ready to make a change to production, I make a copy of the existing web.config as a backup and save that copy to an off server location.  I remove the read-only attribute from the web.config file, open it using notepad, make the changes, save, close, and re-apply the read-only attribute.  The changes will not take affect until after the server is rebooted.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, March 11, 2011 3:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 17, 2012 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:23 PM