How do I set Silverlight 5 as my default program to play video clips online? RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is the right Forum area to address this problem? I didn't know if it would be more appropriate for this-Accessing web services from Silverlight or Silverlight video and media? Anyways, I have the latest version of Silverlight-version 5 for windows 7 and IE 10 and simply want to know how to make Silverlight my default program to play video clips online from the website rivals.com . I am a tech. novice and collegiate football coach and it is crucial that I am able to view video clips with the option of enlarging the screen size to the full screen. In particular, the website rivals.com, which is a website that contains video clip footage of High School and Junior College Video highlights. I currently have Adobe Flash as the program set up to play the videos in rivals.com and there is no option to enlarge the screen size to the full page within that site for some reason?. I have no trouble with this in other similar websites that contain football video clips on hudl.com, scout.com, or on youtube.com. I don't want to get rid of Adobe Flash and I don't understand why that isn't an available option (to enlarge the screen size) within the Adobe Flash settings for rivals.com when I begin to play the video clip. Apparently this site requires Silverlight or HTML5. Everything was working right among this site until I updated to IE 10 and the clips wouldn't play at all and I would get a message within rivals.com site that I needed to install either Silverlight (I already had Silverlight 5 installed) or HTLM5 and then I found out that Silverlight 5 wasn't compatible with Windows 7 64-bit and IE10 at that time. Even after switching back to IE9 and uninstalling Silverlight 5, I was unable to reinstall Silverlight 5.  Before Silverlight was available with windows 7 and IE10, I received free installation support from Microsoft who correctly installed it but they had to switch me back to IE9 with windows 7. After Microsoft support installed it correctly, at that time, Silverlight was set for my video playback clips on rivals.com and I was able to enlarge the screen size but when Silverlight became compatible with windows 7 and IE10 and I uninstalled the previous version of Silverlight 5 and downloaded the new version compatible with Win.7 and IE10, and ever since, the videos on rivals.com now are set to Adobe Flash and I can no longer enlarge the screen and can't figure out how to change the default setting for this site from Adobe Flash to Silverlight for this particular site, rivals.com . I would greatly appreciate your help! I am signed up for community help from the forums but do I need to check back here among this forum to find out if I have received any answers or solutions and if so, how do I access it or is a notice sent directly to my email that I signed up with? This is the first time I have used the Microsoft community Forum help. Thanks

Friday, November 22, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Welcome to MSDN forum and thanks for your post.

how to make Silverlight my default program to play video clips online from the website rivals.com

I am not sure if rivals.com provide the option for user to choose seeing videos using Silverlight or Adobe. Generally, the website developer hard coding which plugin to play video and give no chance for user to change. for particular website, I would like to suggest you contact the website's support to get more details. Here is a forum for developer discussing Silverlight development issue. rather than for users.

In addition, if you are concerning the Silverlight compatibility on Operation System, please extract your issue and let me know. Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Yanping Wang Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:18 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 8:50 AM