Vista compatibility? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

How can I ensure that my application will install and run on a Vista machine? I created it with VS 2005 C# and .NET 2.0.

It will run fine on XP machines but when you run it on a Vista machine, it shows a windows saying: THE APPLICATION HAS STOPPED WORKING

Any idea what needs to be done, to ensure Vista compatibility?
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

• i think that .net framework 3.5 automaticaly support 2.0 so your problem is kind of strange

any way you can follow these steps : -

1). open your project/application on visual studio 2008 a conversation wizard will come that will target your application to 3.5 and then it should work.

2). you can try to supply 2.0 installer along with your application. if the machine is having 2.0 along with 3.5 then ok if not 2.0 will be installed

3) watch about the access rights your application need cuz some time there is a problem with the applications accesing some security rights on vista.

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried changing the compatibility of the exe to run under XP?? Right click on the exe file and click on compatibility tab, then enable run under checkbox and select XP option click ok. Then run the exe file and check whether its running.

Is there any error in eventviewer at the time of suspended action?
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:50 AM
  • Make sure that the .net 2.0 is installed on the Vista machine.  I have seen several problems on New XP machines running SP2 and programs that were developed for the .net 1.1.  Because SP2 has .net 2.0, doesn't mean that it has 1.1 and may not run applications that require 1.1.

I would think that your best bet would be to migrate to the .net 3.5 that comes with VS2008 express editions.  A good thing about the VS2008, is that you can choose the target .net platform.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:48 PM
  • i think that .net framework 3.5 automaticaly support 2.0 so your problem is kind of strange

any way you can follow these steps : -

1). open your project/application on visual studio 2008 a conversation wizard will come that will target your application to 3.5 and then it should work.

2). you can try to supply 2.0 installer along with your application. if the machine is having 2.0 along with 3.5 then ok if not 2.0 will be installed

3) watch about the access rights your application need cuz some time there is a problem with the applications accesing some security rights on vista.

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:30 AM