network monitoring application..... RRS feed

• Question

• Which one is best? C# or C++ to write a network monitoring software application? Which one of these is best? Deployment platform will be on Windows.

Is it possible to write a powerfull and robust network monitoring application using C#? 

Can I do low level programming in C#? Like reading CPU registry, memory buffer etc 

How much resources (Class,...) are available in C# to write a PING kind of application? How hard it is write a PING alike tool in C#?

Thank you,

Smith

Smith
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:25 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the quick response.
    1. What is IMO in your reply?
    2. Can I write more robust application than PING utility using the above name space?
    1.  "I n M y O pinion" - sorry about that, used to abbreviating a lot online.
    2.  You can do whatever you want.  There is even a class specifically for writing "ping" applications, the Ping class.  The docs on MSDN show how you can make your own ping client using the Ping class in C#.

The .NET framework provides a huge suite of networking classes, from easy to use classes (like Ping above) to very low level socket classes, which would be more like working from C++.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    • Marked as answer by Gish Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:56 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

• You can do this in C++ or C#.

C# (more the .NET framework) is very well suited to this, IMO.  The System.Net namespace provides everything required to be able to handle most network client and server tasks, much more easily than in C++.

In addition, if you are trying to monitor the local network usage, you may want to look at using Performance Counters , which can be used from C#.  This will let you track things like total packet usage over a device, throughput, etc.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:46 PM
    2. Can I write more robust application than PING utility using the above name space?
    Gish

Smith
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:05 PM
    1.  "I n M y O pinion" - sorry about that, used to abbreviating a lot online.
    2.  You can do whatever you want.  There is even a class specifically for writing "ping" applications, the Ping class.  The docs on MSDN show how you can make your own ping client using the Ping class in C#.

The .NET framework provides a huge suite of networking classes, from easy to use classes (like Ping above) to very low level socket classes, which would be more like working from C++.

• Marked as answer by Gish Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:56 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:10 PM