Is there a manual way to put a Metro app into suspended state? Why I want to do this - for testing background task

Question

• Hello,

Is there a way (tool, API) to put the Metro app into suspended state?  Reason: I am testing the Metro background task and if the app is not suspended; my background task would not run.  Even the Task-Manager did not have an option to suspend a Metro process. 

Thx,

Coder
    Friday, February 03, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• VS has trigger suspend & resume menu options.

Friday, February 03, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Is there a way (tool, API) to put the Metro app into suspended state?

I'm not sure it is the same thing but I can shut up Zero Gravity by using Performance Monitor and right-click Suspend. You can start perfmon.exe from TM's Performance tab.

---

Friday, February 03, 2012 9:35 PM

• I can shut up Zero Gravity by using Performance Monitor and right-click Suspend.

I am unable to access apps in the Performance Monitor, how does one do it, Robert, please.

Irfan

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:22 PM
  • I am unable to access apps in the Performance Monitor, how does one do it, Robert, please.

Maybe I should have called it Resource Monitor, even though it is perfmon.exe in W8.   It's the same thing as in W7.   Start it from the Performance tab and then right-click the Process you want to suspend.   In the case of Zero Gravity the process Image name is  Microsoft.ZeroGravity.exe

Robert
    ---

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:01 AM

Thanks Robert Aldwincle,

by the time I reach Microsoft.ZeroGravity.exe through the Resource Monitor, it's already become a suspended app because it has by now become a background metro application. One can access the Task Manager while running a Metro App but I don't know how to get to Performance Monitor while still there, unless one finds a way that it runs over the open app, the way TM does.

Irfan

Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:46 PM
  • by the time I reach Microsoft.ZeroGravity.exe through the Resource Monitor, it's already become a suspended app because it has by now become a background metro application.

I have two monitors.

One can access the Task Manager while running a Metro App but I don't know how to get to Performance Monitor while still there

From the TM Performance tab's Resource Monitor link, the same as W7.   In fact, now that I am back on W7 I see that it is identical to what we get on W8.   "Resource Monitor" is an alias for the perfmon.exe task.   Well, maybe not completely identical.   I thought I noticed that there was a switch on perfmon.exe in the W8 Resource Monitor's task's Command line?  In W7 there is no Command line.  Nevertheless right-click Go to Process  on it shows that it is perfmon.exe.

---

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:09 PM