How can I install Windows 8 developer preview on a Samsung Slate PC?

Question

• I haven't got a free slate like everyone else, but I bought a retail version, the Samsung Slate 7. It came with Windows 7, and I'm trying to install Windows 8 on it, with no success. Setup.exe starts, copies a few files to the machine, and then reboots, but it gives me an error: The installation was cancelled, Windows could not update the computer's boot information. Installation cannot proceed.

Have you guys encountered that error? What can I do to make it work?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:37 PM

All replies

• Where did you download Windows 8 Developer Preview?

Did you run clean install or upgrade install?

Could you also list down everything that you done for installation from downloading to installing .

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:14 PM
  • I have the same issue, but with a little more info.  I'm trying to perform an upgrade install.  It gets all the way there and then gives me a choice on how to boot 1. Rollback 2. Dev Preview or 3. Windows 7  Unfortunately, the touch screeen doesn't work at this point in the boot process nor does a USB keyboard.  So, it times out and rolls back.  Do we have to perform a clean install on touchscreen tablets?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Hey Mrues,

When you receive the choice on how to boot, you may be able to move the highlighted selection and make a different selection by using the hardware buttons on your tablet (such as the volume up and down buttons). If you don't find a way to do this, please provide your make and model of your tablet in your next reply.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:51 AM
  • I did manage to use the Volume keys up/down to select the windows dev preview boot option but the install failed after that

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:00 PM
  • did manage to use the Volume keys up/down to select the windows dev preview boot option

So now you don't have to use the Rollback?  Then presumably there will be some diagnostics from the failed install to look at.  (Depending on what all the Rollback does there might have been some left in the DP partition then too.)   E.g.  for a simple example, you might be able to get some clues from Event Viewer that way.

BTW do you have a pen?  FWIW I have a TouchSmart and touch almost never works on the Boot menu but the pen always does.  My wireless keyboard works then too in case you have that additional option.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Sunday, December 25, 2011 2:32 AM