none
SSRS text box after word export changes font to Times New roman even though we had applied Arial 10 font | ssrs 2008 and ssrs 2014 word export

Question

• SSRS text box after word export changes font to Times New roman even though we had applied Arial 10 font .

This text box is given so that user can enter text in Arial 10 but word is forcing it to use Timenew Roman.

Note: This field has no dataset mapping and its just a plain text field box.

So ideally there is no value when we export and we let user to enter values after export

• Edited by MLTC Monday, August 29, 2016 4:01 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• To reproduce the issue

1.Create a text box empty with no dataset tied .

2.Set the font to any font like arial 10 apart from Timesnewroman on the textbox font properties.

3.Export the report as .doc or .docx and try editing the content of text box in word.You will see Timenewroman font .

• Edited by MLTC Monday, August 29, 2016 7:19 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 7:19 PM
  • Hi MLTC,

I have made some test based on your steps:

1. Create a text box empty with no dataset.
    2. Set the font to any font like Arial 10 apart from Timesnewroman on the textbox font properties.

3. Export the report out.

And yes, I can reproduce your issue as the default font in this text box has been changed to Times New Roman. Based on my research, I find out that there exists limitations when export to word. As when text is exported to Word, text with font decoration in certain fonts may generate unexpected or missing glyphs in the rendered report.

Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd283105.aspx

So, I would recommend you to submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Thanks ,I found a bug and have reported it .

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3100990

Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hello MLTC, 

Currently, I have the same problem. Have this one been fixed ?

Thanks.

Friday, March 09, 2018 4:05 AM
  • This question was posted in 2016, give Microsoft six more years to fix it ;D 

My workaround: Add a dash (or some other character) to the textbox/table cell using the font and size you desire. Inform the user that they will need to delete the dash/character when they export to MS Word. Using this approach the user won't have to change the font style/size; only one backspace click is needed.

If you want to hide this dash/character for other export types then use an expression to show/hide it based on the render format.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by LeSteelBox Thursday, May 03, 2018 4:49 AM
    Thursday, May 03, 2018 4:49 AM